Cincinnati Babies
Options

college reunion - Would you be mad?

My five-year college reunion is this summer.  I can't decide if their plans for families are out of line or if I'm just crazy, though.  I need some perspective here.

The university runs the reunions and invites all graduates celebrating another five-year increment since graduation.  So, DH and I graduated in 2004 but there will also be graduates from 1999, 1994, etc.  The university's official reunion website explains that while each class is assigned to a specific dorm, anyone with children will be relegated to the un-air conditioned "family dorm" on the other side of the lake, along with all the families from all the other classes.  Now, this is a decent sized lake with a muddy path around it to this dorm.  They also mention this dorm will fill up very, very quickly.  Not cool.

So, today I get the official pamplet from my class leaders in the mail.  Among other things, on the opening page it says, "For those of you who have kids, you can bring them and enroll them in the children's program for the weekend.  They'll be out of your hair for you to relax, and you can get them excited about doing well in school and studying hard for their SATs..."  Maybe the class leaders are just trying to be cute and funny, but I'm not looking to get my child "out of my hair" for the weekend and I kind of took offense to the whole paragraph.  Plus, this is our five-year reunion and I'm pretty sure there weren't any non-traditional students in our class, so the vast majority of these kids are four at the oldest--not exactly time to study for the SATs.

I can't decide if the university really doesn't want families to come so they purposely make it inconvenient, or if I'm just ticked about the dorm situation and looking for fault with anything now.

And I didn't expect that to end up so long!

Re: college reunion - Would you be mad?

• Options
    Are they forcing you to use the children's programs?  I think it's nice that you can bring your kids and that they are offering activities for them along with babysitting services.  I would be annoyed about the living conditions for the weekend though...I would think if anyone was going to get a/c it would be the families. 
  • Options

Eh, I don't think I'd be mad. Honestly, it does sound like they're trying to plan this as mostly an event for the alumni, but to make some accomodations for those who choose (or need) to bring their kids with them. It definitely makes sense to keep the family dorm seperate from the other attendees, but since I don't know the set-up of your campus I can't say whether or not what they arranged makes the best sense.

Do you have any indication of what these reunions are usually like? Is there lots of drinking and partying, or mostly more family-oriented activities? Again, I have no idea where you went to school or anything but if DH and I ever went to our college's reunion I'm betting we'd probably have more fun without our kids there ;-) Any chance that those planning this event are thinking more along the lines of that?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagealisonada:

Do you have any indication of what these reunions are usually like? Is there lots of drinking and partying, or mostly more family-oriented activities? Again, I have no idea where you went to school or anything but if DH and I ever went to our college's reunion I'm betting we'd probably have more fun without our kids there ;-) Any chance that those planning this event are thinking more along the lines of that?

That's one thing I'm wondering.  Since I've never been to one of these, I don't know whether it's one big party or not.

• Options
    It sounds to me like they really don't want want little kids running around. Sorry.
  • Options

imageriabiron:
    It sounds to me like they really don't want want little kids running around. Sorry.

Ditto this.  I would skip it unless you can find someone to watch the kiddos. I would not be ok with that children's program at all.  I think it is more for the 12 and up crowd.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I guess you could email your class leaders to determine what the itinerary for the weekend is, and if they will be providing childcare.  Do you have a lot of friends planning on going?  If they are - I'd chat with them to see if they plan on going without children.  If you have other college friends with children - you can always use the reunion as a chance to have your families hang out together and just not attend any non child friendly activities that the university might have planned. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"