D.C. Area Babies

I have mastitis....

...in one breast.

keeping this short - typing with one hand - squirmy baby in other hand,

i'm on antibiotics - fever is gone (got up to 103!)

any advice from those who have been there?

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.

Re: I have mastitis....

• oh no!! I'm so sorry!! I think you are supposed to pump or nurse every 2 hrs around the clock until you stop taking the anti-biotics but am not 100% sure

• Oh man, I'm sorry, that's tough!!  I had mastitis 3 times the first 6 weeks and this is what I learned:

Always feed from the affected side first

Get lots of rest (I put DD in the boucer on the bed next to me and we stayed there all day)

Be SUPER diligent about taking the antibiotics on time through the whole course

If your mastitis reoccurs make sure the dr's up your dosage. 

Take probiotics to avoid trush and digestive issues

Constantly rotate nursing positions especially on the affected side, cradle, cross cradle, football, side lying, and kneeling over your DD - This will drain it best

If it reoccurs, see a LC right away, they are so much more helpful than the dr's.  I saw one the third time and she gave me tons of tips that helped me prevent it

DON'T wear tank tops that cross your milk ducts, wear very loose clothes (I ditched the bras till it was all gone)

Warm showers if you are uncomfortable.  

Pump if your DD sleeps 5+ hrs in a row

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.  I have the huge Le Leche Leaughe Breastfeeding Answer Book and can look anything up for you. 

• Loading the player...
  • no advice, just hope you're feeling better soon
  • Hey Denise, Sorry about the mastitis!  The second poster's response is excellent, I only have two things to add.  You want to feed DD with her chin pointed towards the lump/infection.  This may require some acrobatics - usually easiest to lean over DD, buy my LC swore by this. Also, the LLL toll free number (I believe it's 1-800-la-leche).  They're very helpful over the phone (and unlike other LC's, they are free!).  Good luck and feel better soon!
  • Ugh! So, so sorry. Feel better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry to hear it.  Hope you feel better soon!
  • Sorry, I know how much that sucks:( One more piece of advice, don't give E milk from that boob if there is blood it in. You'll have to pump and dump. Mastitis is AWFUL, glad to hear you're on the mend!

P.S. I finally replied to your page from a few days ago.

Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • I hope you're feeling better, that sounds terrible. :-( Happy healing!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"