Minnesota Babies
Options

Nursing bras - PSA and rave

I am getting my hospital bag ready and went out yesterday to get some nursing bras.  I started at JCPenny and had no luck finding my size.  Then I went to Motherhood Maternity and hit the jackpot!!  They have so many different styles and sizes to look at, at first I was clueless.  Luckily the employee there knew exactly what to do!  She fitted me and recommended some for me, and then came in to look at the size and make adjustments as needed.  I know their bras are a little more expensive, but I bought 2, and now know what to look for when I go to Target to get a few more.

The PSA is that she told me I was supposed to be wearing a sleep bra even now at night.  I had no idea.  My bewbies haven't grown much so far so I didn't really think anything of it.  I know some ladies just sleep in a sports bra, but I just thought that was for comfort.  She said it is to help prevent sagging later in life!  I wish I had known that sooner!

Re: Nursing bras - PSA and rave

• Options
    Thanks for the PSA and the info on the nursing bras.  Not that I want to wear a bra 24/7, but I guess I'll give it a go.
  • Options

Sagging boobs from not wearing a bra to sleep aren't a guarantee, just as wearing a bra won't guarantee them not to sag. I only wore a bra to bed until my supply regulated and I stopped leaking, never before I delivered. And even at that I could never sleep in a regular bra. The criss-cross "sleeping bras" are worthless for containing lactating breasts if you sleep on your side. The girls just fall right out of them.

I wouldn't buy too many bras before your baby is a couple weeks old, especially expensive ones. My breasts did not grow at all during pregnancy and only settled on a size when DD was about 4 weeks old after the engorgement ended. And with Motherhood's crappy return policy, I'd never buy anything in advance.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You SHOULD always wear a bra at night, just not one with underwire- give the girls a break.  I disagree with the comment about Motherhood's sleep bras, but to each their own.  As for Motherhood's crappy return policy they have to cover their own butt.  Too many weirdos in this world try to buy and wear maternity clothes then return them when they outgrow them.  Being that maternity clothes are what Motherhood sells, they can't really allow themselves to be screwed over like that.  The associates are trained to measure you for bras and help you find the right fit so that you don't have to do it yourself and end up with poor results.  Sorry, but I wouldn't want to buy a bra that someone else leaked in and tried to return.  Umm, eew!
  • Options

I got "fitted" at Motherhood and I also bought the crisscross sleep bra and it was not great at all.  My breasts fell out and it rode up in the back.  I don't sleep with any bras on at night now.  I don't need it.

Also the bra for the day that they fitted me for was underwireless but had them in the sides which I didn't realize until I got mastitis from it.

When I called to complain about it and that it compressed me on the sides the Rosedale store said they weren't experts in fitting and it was only a suggestion.

I would go to a hospital LC/Store like at Abbott or United and get fitted with them.  I bought one pre birth and it fit post engorement, too.  It's a Medela and wonderful.  Although now I wear Barely There's from Kohls and they are inexpensive and perfect for my needs.  They have convertable strapped and really easy to use.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"