Cincinnati Babies
Options

crafty ppl help... charlotte's name is expensive to spell with wall letters

it costs like $90 to spell her name on the wall with wall letters... why can't she be cheap like ava?

anyway, i still want to do their names on the wall and i'm trying to think of more cost effective ways to do this.  the first thing that came to mind is to paint their names on the wall, but i'm not a great painter and don't know who else i'd ask.  so i was thinking of doing something like this using scrapbook paper:

this option is from land of nod, and it's actually really cheap to just buy it from them, but if i could do it myself then i could make it coordinate with their room a little better.  but how do i cut the letters?  stencils?  is their a special letter cutting tool out there?  sorry if that sounds stupid, i'm not a diy/crafty kinda girl whatsoever.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

Re: crafty ppl help... charlotte's name is expensive to spell with wall letters

• Options

Have you looked at the wooden letters they sell at Michael's?  We bought DS's there with lots of 40% off coupons.  DH spray painted them red.  You'll laugh at the way we put them on the wall......those 3M double-sided sticky things.  They pull right off the wall without leaving a mark.

If you go the paper route....can you find someone with a Cricut?  Otherwise a stencil and a really sharp exacto knife???  I'm not crafty either!  Good luck!

Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I second doing it with wooden letters and using the coupons.  I was thinking about this the other day when thinking about our #2 boy name we like...and thought about doing just initials.  What do you think of just initials?
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    have you thought about vinyl wall decals?  That might be a cheaper way to go.  I would also check into Michaels and Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupons.  Hobby Lobby always has a coupon online and you can print it off and take it into the store.  You might be able to print more than one off a week.
    Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Where are you looking to get your letters from? I got Leah's wall letters from a person on ebay and they came painted with a ribbon (I used them without a ribbon) for about $4 a piece, with $5 shipping. That is another option.

Those Land of Nod ones are adorable, though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I got Allie's at Hobby Lobby.  They were on sale and I think I paid $5-6 total for all of them.  I glued the ribbon to them myself and tied the bow.  Super easy and cheap.  I've also heard of adding the scrapbook paper to the wooden letters but I'm not sure how.

imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageAgathiP04:
    I second doing it with wooden letters and using the coupons.  I was thinking about this the other day when thinking about our #2 boy name we like...and thought about doing just initials.  What do you think of just initials?

charlotte's initials remind me of a home pregnancy test... cgh/hcg.  and ava's (ach) remind me of automatic checking.  i know, i'm super picky, lol.  i'll look at hobby lobby and michael's though.  thanks ladies!

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options
    Check out etsy there are tons of letters on there at a good price, and they are hand painted.
  • Options

Tess would be a cheap name ;)

LOL.  I just had to say that since you have been going back and forth. 

• Options

I bought Brenna's name letters from a seller on Ebay.  They were $3.90 a letter with custom colors and ribbons. I just noticed that Brenna's letters are actually now featured in the seller's auctions. 

https://tinyurl.com/cx7km9

That might be more cost effective with a longer name.  You can also find cute plain unpainted letters on eBay.  Decoupaging  them with scrapbook paper desgins would be very easy. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I made these for Rylee's room

Picture136.jpg picture by vixnic

I just mod podged scrapbook paper onto wooden letters. I think I paid about$2.50 for each wooden letter so the whole project was maybe $20?

• Options
    imageMegs&Nick:

I got Allie's at Hobby Lobby.  They were on sale and I think I paid $5-6 total for all of them.  I glued the ribbon to them myself and tied the bow.  Super easy and cheap.  I've also heard of adding the scrapbook paper to the wooden letters but I'm not sure how.

We did what Meg mentioned.  We bought them at Michaels.  I then painted them green.  I bought scrapbook paper that I like and then I glued them onto the face of the letters (you just buy a cheap foam paintbrush to spread the paint).  Once it is completely dry, you take sand paper and you sand around the letters.  This does two things, one it cuts the paper and two it will leave a tiny bit of the wood to show through.  (I have also heard people doing the white paint and then the green and sanding long enough so that the white shows through, but I was 37 or 38 weeks pregnant at the time and way too lazy to do that.)  After that was completely dry, DH drilled a hole in each letter (two in ones like the H) and I strung ribbon through.  It was really easy and very cheap!  We got the paint and the glue and all that from Wal-Mart and the letters were the cheap unpainted ones from Michaels.

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"