3rd Trimester
Options

Sex before GBS test is NOT cheating.

It isn't cheating the test. GBS is a bacteria that can come and go. Sex can make it... go. Like I said, semen has antibacterial properties that can, not will, kill GBS bacteria if it's in your system at the time and if you aren't a high colonizer.

I would never do anything to put my child in harm's way and don't recommend that anyone else does.Sex before the test is something that many OB's and midwives recommend to kill the bacteria that could be colonizing.

You don't have to do anything before, I was just saying it could help. Couldn't hurt. Or you could just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Re: Sex before GBS test is NOT cheating.

• Options

this still makes no sense

if there would be any reason for risk during labor i would want to know

and obviously "many" OBs and midwives havent reccomended it since no one agreed with you when you posted this the first time

• Options

No kidding? I had no idea. Good to know.

Do me a favor and don't tell my husband about this little tidbit. Mmmmkay?

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    still doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    Or you could end up with it, like me, and have antibiotics during labor. Oh, THE HORROR!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Many doctors insert the swab into your rectum to do the culture. So, unless you plan on having lots of anal sex beforehand, you know, to get those anti-bacterial sperm in the right place, your logic won't work anyway.

Regardless, if you are carrying the bacteria, it's something you should have prior knowledge of. So while it may not be "cheating", it's not the smartest thing in the word.

• Options
    So, if you have sex and it miraculously cures it just before the test wouldn't you need another test closer to delivery to know if you're then positive and in need of abx?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    But there wouldn't be a risk of this in particular if the bacteria has been killed. It won't alter results, it alters whether or not you are currently carrying the bacteria. There won't be any false positives or negatives because of sex, it'll either just be positive of negative.
  • Options
    how often would you need to have sex then, between the initial screening and actual birth? everyday? I feel like this is simply a luck of the cards type of screening, and there is almost a 40% chance you will have it. Yes, it comes and goes, sometimes one pregnancy is positive, others not. But  I think loading up on semen every day for the last four weeks of my pregnancy does not appeal to me. I'm not saying don't do it yourself, but I can't see the logic behind it at all.
  • Options

imageshannynhall:
    But there wouldn't be a risk of this in particular if the bacteria has been killed. It won't alter results, it alters whether or not you are currently carrying the bacteria. There won't be any false positives or negatives because of sex, it'll either just be positive of negative.
    if it kills it for good, then why does it matter if you have sex right before the test or not....there is no way this can be true

obviously we are all PG so we have had sex at least ONCE in our lives, right? so why wasnt the bacteria killed then??

see how dumb this sounds???

• Options
    They don't tell you not to have sex before the test, right? If you did have sex and had a negative result, it would be treated the same as not having sex and getting a negative result because they certainly don't go around asking who just had sex when they do the swab. And about the anal swabbing, it sort of works like swallowing antibiotics. So even if you have vaginal sex and the OB does an anal swab, it could still kill the bacteria.
  • Options

imageshannynhall:

OMG, the bacteria isn't only on the areas where they swab. If you are a carrier, it means that it is INSIDE of you. Therefore, even if you kill what's on the surface, you still have the bacteria. And during birth, that bacteria can be transferred to your baby and cause huge problems.

• Options

Honestly, who gives a sh!t! Is is really that bad to be GBS+? Have sex, don't have sex, whatever!

I feel like a Leper! Geesh!

• Options

imageshannynhall:
    And about the anal swabbing, it sort of works like swallowing antibiotics. So even if you have vaginal sex and the OB does an anal swab, it could still kill the bacteria.

Well, if that's the case, why not make your DH a really happy man and just blow him every day from now until your test? I mean, it's just like swallowing antibiotics, right?

• Options
    imageHi725:

Many doctors insert the swab into your rectum to do the culture. So, unless you plan on having lots of anal sex beforehand, you know, to get those anti-bacterial sperm in the right place, your logic won't work anyway.

Regardless, if you are carrying the bacteria, it's something you should have prior knowledge of. So while it may not be "cheating", it's not the smartest thing in the word.

If someone is a high colonizer and already is aware of it, having sex wouldn't really matter because there is too high a concentration of the bacteria. Not everyone that carries it is a high colonizer, and that's something you'd find out earlier in the pregnancy with a urine test.

• Options
    imageHi725:

imageshannynhall:
    And about the anal swabbing, it sort of works like swallowing antibiotics. So even if you have vaginal sex and the OB does an anal swab, it could still kill the bacteria.

Well, if that's the case, why not make your DH a really happy man and just blow him every day from now until your test? I mean, it's just like swallowing antibiotics, right?

Well if that's the way someone wanted to do it, it would work the same way.

• Options
    imageAmarie13:

Honestly, who gives a sh!t! Is is really that bad to be GBS+? Have sex, don't have sex, whatever!

I don't think anyone thinks its actually bad to be GBS+, but the idea that semen would work like an oral antibiotic for a bacteria that is also found in a woman's intestinal tract is what people are having a hard time taking seriously. 

• Options
    You do realize I was kidding, right? Just out of curiousity, do you have a sister who is worried about having Irish twins?
  • Options
    I'm gonna have to call a big ol' bulllshit on this one.  Again, as I previously stated, don't take medical advice from a nestie.  This is just silly.  It's like saying, "Gotta sinus infection?  Skip the Z Pack and go swallow a load."  Riiiiiight.  NoIdea
  • Options
    imageAmarie13:

No honey, you're right.  It's not a big deal.  Test positive, take the meds. and it's all good.  

• Options
    imagegunnitk:

imageshannynhall:
    if it kills it for good, then why does it matter if you have sex right before the test or not....there is no way this can be true

obviously we are all PG so we have had sex at least ONCE in our lives, right? so why wasnt the bacteria killed then??

Then wouldn't it be dumb of them to not tell women to hold off on sex before the test if they felt it could put them at risk? I said before that they don't ask everyone who had sex or who didn't before the test. Just like if someone got a negative result without having sex wouldn't need to be tested again, someone who got a negative result after having sex wouldn't be tested again, either. Because they don't ask how much sex you've been having and when before they swab you.

• Options

imageHi725:
    You do realize I was kidding, right? Just out of curiousity, do you have a sister who is worried about having Irish twins?

Bwwahahaha, OMFG, good one!

• Options
    imagesweetmelissa0707:
    imageAmarie13:

I don't think anyone thinks its actually bad to be GBS+, but the idea that semen would work like an oral antibiotic for a bacteria that is also found in a woman's intestinal tract is what people are having a hard time taking seriously. 

I realize that. Wink That's kinda my point as well... it's really not that big of a deal to have it, so, why this "remedy" even exists (or doesn't) is blowing my mind! 

• Options

imageHi725:

It doesn't have to make sense to you. But this is definitely not on par with asking if a pregnant woman should take birth control to prevent another pregnancy.

• Options
    imageshannynhall:
    imagegunnitk:

imageshannynhall:

Then wouldn't it be dumb of them to not tell women to hold off on sex before the test if they felt it could put them at risk? I said before that they don't ask everyone who had sex or who didn't before the test. Just like if someone got a negative result without having sex wouldn't need to be tested again, someone who got a negative result after having sex wouldn't be tested again, either. Because they don't ask how much sex you've been having and when before they swab you.

That's because if you're GBS+ then sex ain't gonna cure it!  If anything, it might just spread it around a bit.  Surprise  THAT's why they don't tell you to refrain from having sex before the test.  Makes no difference.

• Options
    It doesn't make sense because it isn't a fact. But, I'll tell you what, find me some medical (not wikipedia, not yahoo answers) documentation that supports your theory, and I will humbly concede.
  • Options

imageHi725:
    It doesn't make sense because it isn't a fact. But, I'll tell you what, find me some medical (not wikipedia, not yahoo answers) documentation that supports your theory, and I will humbly concede.

Raise your hand if you think her husband is the one who told her this experiment would be effective!   Hmm

• Options
    imageSee1Do1Teach1:
    That's because if you're GBS+ then sex ain't gonna cure it!  If anything, it might just spread it around a bit.  Surprise  THAT's why they don't tell you to refrain from having sex before the test.  Makes no difference.

ditto this, i couldnt figure out how to put that in my own words....

• Options
    imageshannynhall:

imageHi725:

It doesn't have to make sense to you.

just an FYI, this isnt making sense to ANYONE
  • Options

imageHi725:

It's what I was told by my OB, I can't find any medical documentation on it, but he says no patients of his have had any problems because of it. He also told me about probiotics, taking more vitamin c, inserting garlic in your vagina, all of them. I sincerely doubt he's trying to kill my baby.

• Options
    Who cares?!  This is like people trying to "cheat" the glucose test.  Why would you not want to know?!  Just take the antibiotics.  No big deal.  I was GBS pos with Kate and it could not have been less of a big deal than it was.  So dumb (and inaccurate) but the idea of trying to cheat in the first place is idiotic.
  • Options
    What is a GBS Test...I wonder if I had to take one of those.
  • Options

imageDavonnap:
    What is a GBS Test...I wonder if I had to take one of those.

Read this

https://www.groupbstrep.org/resources/pamphlet.pdf

• Options

I'm failing to see why this is even an issue.  Considering all the stripping of membranes, internals etc, why is a GBS test that big of a deal? 

Am I wrong in thinking if you're positive you get an IV during labour?

If so, big freaking deal. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    shannynhall I'm from the Bay Area too, and I know we're all a bit nutty in Northern CA, but by any chance are you in Santa Cruz or Berkeley? Just wondering.......Also what hospital is your DR practicing from so I know where NOT to go for prenatal care. Thx!
  • Options
    imageGIjoeswife:
    shannynhall I'm from the Bay Area too, and I know we're all a bit nutty in Northern CA, but by any chance are you in Santa Cruz or Berkeley? Just wondering.......Also what hospital is your DR practicing from so I know where NOT to go for prenatal care. Thx!

Wow, it's weird that it's even an issue for you this far into the pregnancy. Good luck finding someone!

• Options

I actually tested negative believe it or not, and I didn't have to have sex right before with my husband to get a negative result. But just for future children, I'd like to make sure you and I are not being seen by the same nut job that's got you sorely mistaken!

I'm sorry honey you don't have better prenatal care providers. Good luck in your pregnancy!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"