2nd Trimester

What is the worst wedding you've ever been to and why?

I went to wedding about two years ago and the food was awful.  The bride also hired a magician to go around and do tricks while we were eating.  The favors were cheesey too.  They were those "turkish" (I think that is what they are called) favors that are in a toilet paper roll filled with candy and a paper crown!  I couldn't wait to leave! 
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: What is the worst wedding you've ever been to and why?

• they were married on the beach the reception was at a HUGE house they rented.. but in the back yard under a tent. NO DINNER just light appetizers.

but invites did not say that... and i know b/c i designed them.... for free! 

no tables just some cocktail tables. no seats.

we left and went to Burger king and went home, so hungry.

• DH's friend got married in July 2007 and the DJ played Enya for the 2 hours leading up to the dinner. It was awful! Then he played awful music so there were never more than 8 people on the dance floor at one time (out of 300 guests).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Can honestly say that I've never been to a bad wedding.  I think mine was the worst because my husband cried because his father wasn't there (by choice) and it really hurt him.  His parents didn't attend because I'm white and they're Persian--the reality was that his father was dying of cancer and his mother was afraid of losing him and her son so she took all of her anger toward cancer out on me.  Fun.  She has since apologized and tried to buy my love but I will never get my wedding day back. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went to one two weeks before ours last summer and we were just totally not impressed. The groom was absolutely drunk by the time they made it to the reception, and the bride was crying because she was so mad at him. The food was very high school cafeteria, and the decorations were super cheesey. I understand some people are on a budget (because we were too), but don't go the tacky route. Everything was just so tacky, but whatever, it was their wedding. We had fun just because everyone Josh worked with was there and we both had a good time with the people we hung out with.
  • It was in a tent in New England during the winter.  It was freezing.  They closed the bar during dinner so you couldn't get an beverage besides water.  The tent was set up long ways so only 2 or 3 tables could see the dance floor.  And the cake was stale!
    Big Brother Joey born 6/30/09 Pregnancy Ticker
  • they were married at a "wedding factory" - there was a guy directing traffic - we had to pull up and tell him which wedding we were going to so that he could point us in the right direction.

With all those weddings going on, it was difficult to keep track of who belonged there and who didn't.  

My great-grandmother's purse got stolen, right off her walker, and we never got it back.  Hope the person liked tissues and apartment keys...that's all that was in there!

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • The bride had not yet arrived when we did. The groom offered my husband a beer before the ceremony. Bride showed up in jeans and had to go inside to do her hair. So, we waited about half an hour. Then for the reception, the couple grilled bbq themselves, so we all got there and waited another two hours before dinner. It was a whole notha level of DIY!
    Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • My cousin-in-law's wedding.  Her friends were so rude to her family and the bride herself seemed completely ungrateful.  Not to mention the chain smoking the entire reception.  KLASSY!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My cousin in Ohio's wedding, I was only like 12 but, it was terrible.... It was in an actual barn! Hay and all! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went to a wedding over Christmas this past season.  In a huge church, there were maybe 50 people, so it felt empty (why not get married in the church's smaller chapel down the hall, which is easier to decorate and feels more intimate?); the party walked into a CD of music instead of musicians, which is NMS but fine if that's what she wanted and could afford, but then the sound guy just STOPPED it mid-word when the last girl got up front.  Then, the Bride walked into a different CD song, and apparently she wanted to wait till a certain line in the chorus, but the whole congregation is all looking around thinking she's not coming in at all because the song is playing and playing through a whole (long) first verse and chorus until she finally comes in!  It was an awkward ceremony to sit through because it just felt very disjointed....
  • One of DH's friend's weddings was at a tiny little B&B that would have been adorable for a bridal shower or something small.  It was awful for a reception with 150 guests.  Everyone ended up having to be outside in the back yard, where it was absolutely freezing.  There was also so little food that it ran out before half the guests had gotten anything to eat (it was a 6pm wedding on a Saturday, so everyone expected food).  AND, there was beer for all the guests, but the bride and groom and wedding party were "special" and got to have champagne all night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • It was held in an elementry school gym DURING THE SCHOOL DAY. They also served only water and juice boxes (not even soda) out of big buckets with ice. They searved mexican food buffet style..which would have been fine if they didnt run out half way through. Lucky me, my table was called last so i got a big plate of rice, some burned beans and sour cream, by that time they also ran out of waters so i got to drink apple juice out of a box, with little straw. I would understand if they didnt have money to thow a big bash but that is not the case with them.

Dont even get me started on the decorations and music and how I was told which gift to bring..they thought that was classier then registring.

• We went to an outdoor wedding at a state park.  The ceremony was held in a gazebo, and there were dozens of bats flying around inside!  Most of the time they stayed towards the ceiling, but every once in a while one would swoop down.  And I am scared to DEATH of bats.  I had a death grip on DH's arm, and just kept my eyes closed most of the ceremony!  It still gives me the willies!!!  Then at the reception, the bride and groom were "stolen away" by the wedding party and the DJ was horrible.  I like all kinds of music, but these were songs I have never heard of.  We tried to request decent songs, but the DJ said "all requests must be approved by the bride".  Well, she wasn't even there! 
  • A friend of mine got married, and told her DJ that she didn't want "cheesy wedding music played at all."  So all night he played rap and hip hop.  I liked the music but those over the age of 40 were not impressed.  Her mom and dad just sat there, and looked so annoyed all night.  Meanwhile, the DJ was on the mic all night trying to "hype the crowd" like we were at a club.  It was classy.
  • The wedding was at 6 pm on a Saturday night at some fancy, non-traditional venue, a theatre. The reception was in the lobby, and it took literally 30 min to get through the receiving line (the only way out of the theatre).

Then there were only passed appetizers, not an actual dinner. The waiters were horrible, and never came over to us-thankfully eventually there were stations put out. There weren't enough tables for everyone to sit at, there was no MC to make announcements about what was going on, the dance floor was in this awkward space on carpet, etc. Poor, poor planning. And we never got a thank you card for our gift.

• This might be long, but hands down the worst wedding I went to started with the invitations.  They came in bubble mailers on separate clippings of paper printed from the home computer.  No rhyme or reason to them.  It included a CD (not a dvd) of an interview of the B & G and baby pics, the stories of the proposal and how they met, etc.  Also included on more clippings of paper was where they were registered.

The wedding was in June and on the invitation was no mention of it being an outdoor wedding.  It was outside.  It was hot and it was one o'clock.  There was no bottled water or anything offered and no fans.  It lasted forever.  The parents of the bride hijacked the wedding ceremony from the officiant and talked themselves.  The mom went on about loving the husband, being a helpmate, being patient and some dreams and what not she had about her daughter and the groom.  The dad went on about how he and his wife had a fight the other night and vaguely what it was about and how they didn't let the sun go down on their anger.  Then he went on about the ring he gave his daughter for her to stay pure.  He then presented the groom with this ring and talked about what a prize it was for him to be getting such a gift and how he (the dad) made it come to be.  He talked about more and kept saying to make a long story short.  One of the bridesmaids was about 7 months pregnant and eventually left the ceremony and went inside the church.  There was a lot of sighs and throat clearing and I wasn't the only one to get sunburnt knees and shoulders. 

The reception.  No alcohol... fine.  But don't expect people to stay.  Most of the men ended up at the bar at the other side of the hotel.  I had to get three separate plates because the chicken was still bloody on the inside.  The cake tasted like and had the texture of vanilla cornbread.  The music was bad 80s music and they kept feeding back the speakers.  Not even good bad 80s music, straight up bad.  Oh and then they pulled out a cake for some couple that was there whose 18th wedding anniversary it was or something and talked about them and then had them come up and dance by themselves before dinner.  It was crazy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • my aunts.... the bridesmaids all had weird and unclassy tattoos on their breast and backs... and the pictures looked horrible!
  • I would say one of DH's coworkers weddings that we went to 5 years ago, when we had just met.    They had karaoke at the reception and I don't mean this wrong....but the wedding party (including bride and groom) were all hoosiers, drunk up there singing.  And I love chocolate brown, but if your wedding party is all really overweight, it is not such a good choice in a strapless dress.  But it was fun, just very low budget.
  • Wedding was in the middle of the afternoon, under a tent which was set up on the sidewalk outside of a bar. Guests had to use the bar bathrooms which were tiny and wound up overflowing with toilet water and toilet paper. Food was barbecue. Most of the guests were dressed casually with the exception of me and DH who assumed that the dress was still formal considering how the bride had described her gown, the bridesmaids' gowns, etc. So there we were: completely overdressed, eating barbecue, on the sidewalk, under a tent, outside of a bar. We left early and ordered pizza at home.
  • I am a bridesmaid in a wedding this weekend and they're only serving light appetizers!  I am 18 weeks pregnant and the ceremony starts at 5:30pm...what the hell!  I joked with my DH that instead of using dress tape to keep my top up, I'm going to lick and stick some fruit rollups to my boobs so I have some sort of food supply!
  • The one last spring where DH had to stand in as a GM at the last min (like we came from out of town and he was asked the day of) b/c the other GM backed out b/c he was in love w/ the bride.  It get's better...

DH had to walk, stand with, eat with, dance with (I drew the line there), with the groom's sister who was a BM who I HATE (she always wanted and tried to get my DH when we were all in high school). So it was torture for me the entire time. 

It get's better...

3 months after the wedding? They are getting divorced b/c the bride cheated on groom (DH's high school friend).  AWFUL experience. 

• DH's friend got married in a courthouse with only their parents, so they wanted to do a bigger "vow renewal" on their first anniversary. It was at an Elk's Lodge in the middle of friggin' no where and wasn't even decorated. The ceremony took place on an actual stage (think elementary school) and the place was set up for dinner, so we watched the vows from our table. Dinner was nasty a Mexican buffet served on paper plates with plastic utensils that were wrapped in a paper napkin tied with one of those cheesy little fake roses (like you find in the gas station). I want to think that they were on a tight budget, but her dress suggested otherwise...

Luckily, the bar was fully stocked and open the entire time or else we would've left a lot earlier.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    photo 031414d1_zps227fd907.jpg photo SilverPoster_zpsec3507ce.jpg
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    photo Ribbon_zps406cb11d.jpg Peanut 07/05/07 CP @ 4w3d photo Ribbon_zps406cb11d.jpg Sweet Pea 04/21/08 @ 7wks
    The Blog
  • Hands down.

1. The priest couldn't remember their names. Repeatedly called them by the wrong ones.
    2. The priest made a comment about what a nice body the bride had in the middle of the ceremony.
    3. When we were asked to say the Lord's Prayer. The priest whistled in the middle to get us to stop, and said "oh, it was supposed to be sung".
    4. The groom's mother had passed away and a sister stood to commemorate her. The priest said, "oh that's right, I was supposed to mention her in the ceremony"
    5. The Bible verse was apparently not the one they'd selected. Upon seeing their confused faces the priest scolded them "It's not what you were expecting, but it's God's word none the less"

Tongue Tied

• imagemfransdell:

It was held in an elementry school gym DURING THE SCHOOL DAY. They also served only water and juice boxes (not even soda) out of big buckets with ice. They searved mexican food buffet style..which would have been fine if they didnt run out half way through. Lucky me, my table was called last so i got a big plate of rice, some burned beans and sour cream, by that time they also ran out of waters so i got to drink apple juice out of a box, with little straw. I would understand if they didnt have money to thow a big bash but that is not the case with them.

Dont even get me started on the decorations and music and how I was told which gift to bring..they thought that was classier then registring.

I really think this is the best story so far.  I am so glad I asked this question!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • OMG, I could read these for hours. I don't think I've ever been to a wedding that was that bad.

The elementary school wedding is killing me!

• imagemfransdell:

It was held in an elementry school gym DURING THE SCHOOL DAY. They also served only water and juice boxes (not even soda) out of big buckets with ice. They searved mexican food buffet style..which would have been fine if they didnt run out half way through. Lucky me, my table was called last so i got a big plate of rice, some burned beans and sour cream, by that time they also ran out of waters so i got to drink apple juice out of a box, with little straw. I would understand if they didnt have money to thow a big bash but that is not the case with them.

OMG!  I don't even know where to begin with this one!  They  told you what gift to bring?! 

• The worst was also the most expensive one. The bride and everyone was so concerend with how perfect everything needed to be (probably b/c of what they paid) that the celebration was realy lame. No one really danced, the bride was upset and all the wedding party was trying to console her. The worst part is nothing really went that bad, they just freaked out about it all. Everyone left early.?

• They had a potluck reception at the church and the food ran out after not even 1/2 the guests got into the reception hall.  Then we all found out that there was a "secret" reception at their club later - that none of us (out of town family in just for the wedding) had been invited to.  This was two years after they acted like jerks at another cousin's wedding and said there wasn't enough food, they were leaving for Outback to get some ribs.  That cousin had a full delicious catered spread.  And two years before the bride's father ate himself silly at my wedding.  The whole extended family was seriously annoyed - the wedding was in my mom's hometown but none of us live there anymore so everyone had travelled in for the wedding only to be treated like second tier guest list.  Including my great aunt who she'd made a big show of walking down the aisle as "special aunt of the bride" since her grandmother (my other great-aunt) had passed away a year earlier.
  • DH & I went to one a few years ago where no one liked to bride. Really ackward. Plus, the best man slammed her in his toast (which was kinda funny, she was kinda bitchy).

• My friends cousin got married in the Treasure Island Hotel in Las Vegas.  The groom was 30 minutes late and wasted, he couldn't even stand up straight at the alter... he was swaying.  He slurred his vows.  Then the reception was at a total white trash vegas reception place off the strip, I want to say it was called the love something.  They had roachs in the bathroom and no soap or toilet paper, and the groom was hitting on my friend ( the brides cousin) out side and was throwing a fit that he didn't want to go in the hall to cut the cake.  After not cutting the cake he started stripping off his tux, since he was hot, and ended up punching the lady that owned the place, in the face.  I don't think it could get worse than that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really haven't been to any awful weddings, so if I had to choose the worst, it would be one in which I was a bridesmaid about 5 years ago.  It was an afternoon wedding, ending around 7pm.  There was no dinner, just light appetizers.  I also remember the groom and his friends out in the back tapping a keg...didn't seem like the classiest thing to do at a wedding.  It just really wasn't much fun - barely any dancing, very little food/alcohol, not much going on.

And this is just my opinion, but I think evening weddings are much more fun.  I hated leaving at 7pm, all dressed up, to simply go back to the hotel and order dinner.  Kind of a letdown. 

"You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • imagecheshirekaatttt:
    My friends cousin got married in the Treasure Island Hotel in Las Vegas.  The groom was 30 minutes late and wasted, he couldn't even stand up straight at the alter... he was swaying.  He slurred his vows.  Then the reception was at a total white trash vegas reception place off the strip, I want to say it was called the love something.  They had roachs in the bathroom and no soap or toilet paper, and the groom was hitting on my friend ( the brides cousin) out side and was throwing a fit that he didn't want to go in the hall to cut the cake.  After not cutting the cake he started stripping off his tux, since he was hot, and ended up punching the lady that owned the place, in the face.  I don't think it could get worse than that.

WOW.  Are these people still married??  That is incredibly awful!  I would be completely mortified if I had been that bride.

"You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • imagejaxgev:
    Can honestly say that I've never been to a bad wedding.  I think mine was the worst because my husband cried because his father wasn't there (by choice) and it really hurt him.  His parents didn't attend because I'm white and they're Persian--the reality was that his father was dying of cancer and his mother was afraid of losing him and her son so she took all of her anger toward cancer out on me.  Fun.  She has since apologized and tried to buy my love but I will never get my wedding day back. 

That's awful... I'm so sorry!!

• The bride was greek, so her brother made all the food.  It was all cabage rolls and lamb.  Or maybe it was grape leaves, I can't remember.  I just know it tasted awful!!  Good thing we all went to the local diner in between!  There was four hours inbetween the ceremony and the reception!!  The brides mom made wedding cakes on the side, so each table had their own little cake.  So that part was the saving grace!!
  • DH's cousin.  There was a whole part of the ceremony about the bride obeying her husband.  Think 5-10 minutes on the meaning of the word obey and the minister repeated the vow multiple times.  The reception did not include alcohol, but no one clued the guests in until they went to get a drink.  There was no dancing so they played classical music and had minigolf set up on the dance floor in case anyone thought to bust a move to mozart.  The bride and groom had a first putt not a first dance.
  • imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

they were married at a "wedding factory" - there was a guy directing traffic - we had to pull up and tell him which wedding we were going to so that he could point us in the right direction.

With all those weddings going on, it was difficult to keep track of who belonged there and who didn't.  

My great-grandmother's purse got stolen, right off her walker, and we never got it back.  Hope the person liked tissues and apartment keys...that's all that was in there!

That is the funniest shiit i have ever heard!!!!!!

• imagemommabarker09:

imagejaxgev:
    Can honestly say that I've never been to a bad wedding.  I think mine was the worst because my husband cried because his father wasn't there (by choice) and it really hurt him.  His parents didn't attend because I'm white and they're Persian--the reality was that his father was dying of cancer and his mother was afraid of losing him and her son so she took all of her anger toward cancer out on me.  Fun.  She has since apologized and tried to buy my love but I will never get my wedding day back. 

That's awful... I'm so sorry!!

It's ok, my husband pays dearly for it each and every day...until death do us part.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"