Maryland Babies

Any moms-to-be suffer from IBS?

Hi all..I suffer from IBS and I take medicines for it and just found out 2 days agao that I am 4 weeks pregnant and very fearful that my meds have hurt my child.

I am very worried.

Does anyone else suffer from IBS? I would love to chat with someone who has gone through the weaning off of meds and experienced the withdrawal process so I know what to expect.

Also, if anyone knows an OB that specializes in Moms-to-be with IBS.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Any moms-to-be suffer from IBS?

• Hello - I have suffered with this for a couple years now. I was medicating, but stopped that in favor of cutting out foods that are irritants. I don't think that being a month along you have done any damage, but I would stop the medication and consult with your GI and OB to see if you should continue. The good news for me is that since I have been pregnant my body chemistry has changed and I have been able to eat all those nasty foods that would have detroyed my stomach before, ?with no side effects! It has been wonderful, and I have certainly indulged. I hope this keeps up after the baby is born and I am finally free of IBS. I hope you will be as lucky!?
  • I have Crohn's disease (an IBD) and delievered my daughter in December. I was lucky that I hadn't been taking meds before I got pregnant, so I didn't have to worry about going off of anything. My OB did monitor my symptoms and said that if at any time I had a flair, she would work with my GI doc.

Also, like the previous poster said, my symptoms did get better while pregnant. OB said it was because of the increase of progestrone during pregnancy, which slows down digestion. While many pg women complain of constipation, I was happy I wasn't going 5-6 times a day.  After delievery, it was really bad. Now I'm back to managing it with my diet. Also, I'm on a high-level progestrone birth control pill. Doc suggested a progestrone IUD, but I'm not ready use that form of birth control.

If you'd like to talk at all, email me at jagelman@comcast.net

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies..but I am on meds that cannot be stopped cold turkey..I need to wean off of them slowly and the withdrawal is horrific and could cause me to be hospitalized...

Wish me luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"