Baby Names
Options

Is this name overdone?

Addison? I think that DH and I are leaning toward this name for a girl. Originally, we'd picked Gracyn, but I think we've changed our minds.

Re: Is this name overdone?

• Options

I have to say yes.

But I am also bitter because I babysat a boy named Addison when I was a teen and always thought I'd use it for a son. Only by the time I was married and planning a family, it was a girl's name! Boo. LOL

But seriously- it seems pretty popular. It's the new Madison.

• Options

Addison is becoming very popular.  I see at least one a day on our hospital website.

I really don't like Gracyn at all either. It looks awkward. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Painfully.?

?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Addison has become pretty popular. IDK if it is overdone, but it is on its way.
  • Options

I love it, but I knew when we picked it that it was popular/trendy. We didn't care. I was born in 1980 when Jessica was super popular (also my name), and I didn't know a handful of them growing up, so I am not going to base my child's name on whether or not it is popular.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagerebus82:

Painfully.

This.  It's still better than Gracyn, though.
  • Options
    imagerosenjoe:
    imagerebus82:

Painfully.

This.  It's still better than Gracyn, though.

Good point.

• Options
    I hear it a lot on here but don't know anyone IRL named Addison and I work at a school!  I think if you like it go for it - and this is from someone who had a very common name!

• Options
    It's definitely popular!  I love the name and would consider using it but my niece's name is Madison.  I think if you truly love the name, then use it.  As for Gracyn, I agree that it seems a bit odd (though I like some odd names too).  To me it sounds like Grayson, which I LOVE for a boy.  I think some ppl will think it is a boy's name based on pronunciation if they don't see it spelled out.  I hope that makes sense.  I do like the more simple Grace though.  Maybe Addison Grace?
  • Options

I think it is very popular.  I also have a problem with girls names that end in -son, but that is just me. 

• Options
    I think it's gaining in popularity. But if you love it, use it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love Addison.  Yes it's getting more popular, but who cares if you love it.  I like Gracyn too.
  • Options
    LMS05LMS05 member

Hate, hate, hate Addison. An awful name that is very trendy. It's a disease!

Gracyn is bad too. Grace is nice. ?

• Options
    Yes!!!!!!!!!! And it sounds very made up to me. Kind of like:  Well, I wanted Madison but now it's too popular so I'm going to go with Addison.
  • Options
    imagethatgirlang:

I have to say yes.

But I am also bitter because I babysat a boy named Addison when I was a teen and always thought I'd use it for a son. Only by the time I was married and planning a family, it was a girl's name! Boo. LOL

But seriously- it seems pretty popular. It's the new Madison.

I, too, know some boys named Addison. I think the character on Greys Anatomy/Private Practice started the whole thing and caused it to switch over. I'm afraid it will be one of those names that is very dated because it suddenly appeared as a girls name and has been used so heavily in the past 4 years or so.

• Options
    I dislike Addison because of it's masculinity "son of Adam". I think this is a name that is growing in popularity and will soon rise to the top. The new SS list comes out in May, but we may not see the extreme rise until next May since a lot of the Addison naming is happening now. However, I think the nickname Addie is cute. Adelaide, Adeline, Adelina, Adele would all work to produce the same nickname, minus the "son" part.
  • Options

imageMrsTeague:
    I think the nickname Addie is cute. Adelaide, Adeline, Adelina, Adele would all work to produce the same nickname, minus the "son" part.

Yes

• Options

it has become quite popular, but if you really like it then use it!Smile

gracyn is really cute too!

• Options

Is Addison actually popular, or do people just talk about using it as a baby name now because of Private Practice?

Good point in the pp about how you might look back on it and always think, "Wow. I got sucked into the trend" (With that being said, though, I'm a fan of the name!).

• Options

Not a fan of either, sorry! Addison is WAY popular right now (atleast in our area) and I'm not a fan of choosing a trendy name....and Gracyn is made up to me...it sounds too unisex like the boy name "Grayson" which I also don't like...

BUT that being said everyone bashed our little girls name on here and we LOVE it :) Go with what you love!

• Options
    It's become very popular, but it's still one of my favorites.  I say if you love it use it!
  • Options

In 2007 there were 11,823 Addisons born in this country (#11 on SSA). And I think 2008 only brought more. Addison also sounds so much like Madison, in which there were 17,731 (#5) born in '07, and I'm positive there were many more in '08.

So yes, I think it's overused.

Blank!
  • Options

Both of those are very overused and trendy right now, IMO.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageepona3:

Both of those are very overused and trendy right now, IMO.

this

• Options
    I like Addison.
    Oy with the poodles already!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagejennings235:

I think it is very popular.  I also have a problem with girls names that end in -son, but that is just me. 

agree about Addison. Its so NMS.

Sorry, but also don't like Gracyn. 

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I LOVE Addison! It is our #1 name for a girl... Addison Faith.

Yes it is gaining in popularity... but should that really matter.. If you love the name, then use it.

I like Grayson for a boy... but I'm not a fan of Gracyn for a girl... I think the spelling looks a little awkward with the "Y".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"