Parenting after a Loss
Options

I need to help her "shut off" for bed

It's so weird... the last few weeks Maya has been tough to get down for naps and at bedtime.  It's weird - once she's asleep she's fine (and is still sleeping well through the night), but she is just so wired when I put her in her crib.  Her eyes are open like huge saucers and she starts kicking around and smiling and it's like she's ready to party.  LOL.

I literally have to give her the binky, put her little lovey in her hands, turn her on her side, and rub her head.  I usually have to go in and do this a few more times and this is the ONLY way she will fall asleep.  Literally, she'll be half asleep, laying on her back, fussing fussing fussing.  She just won't shut off and go to sleep.  I have to go in and do those things and then she's out in a second.

I'm not complaining because as I said, she is sleeping well at night and that's what I really value, but I hope she goes back to "falling asleep" well on her own soon.

Re: I need to help her "shut off" for bed

• Options

Do you guys have a consistent bedtime routine? Like bath, books, bottle, music, bed? Something that can sort of "cue" her that its time for bed?

We do the same thing with Ethan every night and by the time we put him in his crib his eyes are barely open.  He will usually wake up and grin and watch us walk out the door, but then he rolls over and goes to sleep.

A

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options

We do have a consistent bedtime routine, so that's not it.  I think it's just this "uber-aware" period she's in right now.  She just does not want to shut off for bed.  But yes, the routine is so important and she definitely responds to it (and did before this change in behavior the last few weeks).

I actually do have the fisher price crib thing, but I haven't put it in her crib.  A part of me is just worried to make the crib "entertaining", but I guess it's worth a shot.  Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know what you mean Mia! Hailey can be the same way sometimes. Sometimes I can just leave her and she will tak herself to sleep then other times she wiggles so much she makes her self spit up and then I have to get her out and clean her and the crib up!! I still rock her until she's sleepy. On those nights itsl ike I have to rock her completely asleep in order for her to stay down!
  • Options

I don't think there is anything wrong with having to help her turn off - it sounds like she's doing great 'self soothing' and you're still putting her asleep "drowsy but awake" so I think that giving her the paci, her lovey and rubbing her head for a few minutes isn't really a step backwards.

We do the same thing for Avery - sometimes I lay her down and her little legs just start kicking away.  I put my hand on her face and she'll calm down.  It takes like 2 minutes for her to get really sleepy and fall asleep without me.  

• Options

you're certainly doing everything right. I have a theory about it, and it's about the age that your baby is at - they tend to be excited about observing what's going on around them, etc. and can't be bothered when sleeping.

When DD is that way, we dim all the lights (or turn off altogether), sometimes rock her in her chair to tell her, it's time to go to bed now.  Some nights, she's up until 11, so it's not always foolproof!  :)

• Options

oh also - we turn off her lights (with just her nightlight) while we change her -- this definitely helps a little :)

• Options
    I second the soother both my babies love theirs and they just zone out and watch theirs and we very rarely have to go back in their room after we put them down for the night.

Kerri
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"