Parenting

Alternatives to cow's milk, for lactose sensitivity?

Hi ladies. I thought I might get more responses on this board since most of you seem to have older babies/toddlers..

As of 2 days ago, DD is on soy milk because of a lactose sensitivity. I've heard/read conflicting information about soy milk though and I'm just wondering if anyone is going with something other then soy and what your reasons are?

Pedi suggested soy, so I know I should just trust that.. but I figured it can't hurt to see what others think about it. Is Lactaid lactose free or does it still have some in there? Anyone using Goat's milk? Other? TIA.

CP 3/07
BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
BFP 11/14

Re: Alternatives to cow's milk, for lactose sensitivity?

• Goats milk can be ok, but may still have lactose.  My friends son has serious allergies and he drinks hemp milk, but it is super expensive.  You could try the lactose free milk, my friends husband is lactose intolerant and he can drink that.  You could also skip milk and give him other sources of protein, especially if he will eat meat, beans, peanut butter, ect.
  • Alexander is lactose intolerant and he drink Lactaid and/or Dairy Ease milk.  They are both lactose free.
  • Loading the player...
  • i am lactose intolerant and drink lactaid with no problem.  i would use that over soy if my child was lactose intolerant...but i'm not a medical dr :)
  • Goat's milk works great for DD1.  It naturally does not contain lactose and is very easy to digest because nutritionally it is very close to breastmilk.
  • Dairy makes my kid very congested & mucous-y.  I think he has a slight dairy sensitivity.  He drinks soy with no issues.

Why not soy? 

• My DD is on soy. So now I'm curious what you've heard about it!
  • My DD had allergies to both cow's milk and soy milk.  She drank Hemp Milk.  Our health food store sold it, but you can also buy it online.  (I think there is only one brand - Living Harvest.)

It's pricey, but it does have some good stuff in it (Omega 3's, calcium, amino acids, etc).

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Haste and Mags, I explained it a little in THIS post and someone responded with some articles and more info. HTH.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts/info :)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"