North Carolina Babies

BM pumpers...

How much milk do you get, per breast, from each pumping session? Just curious what was "normal?"

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: BM pumpers...

• When I do pump in place of a feeding, I usually pump about 7 oz total, so about 3.5 from each side (although usually it's like 4 from one side & 3 from another and it rotates which side depending on which side I started on the last feeding). I'm not sure if that's normal, but that's my experience.
  • I've only pumped once in place of a feeding (and that time, I only pumped one breast)  That time I pumped 5oz and had to stop b/c my bottle was full.  When I pump after a feeding, I usually get anywhere from 2-4 oz (from one breast) depending on how much the little one eats.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a low producer so I only get 2 to 2.5 oz per breast each session.
  • imageThe"Q":
    I'm a low producer so I only get 2 to 2.5 oz per breast each session.

Wow... I'm jealous of you all! I only got 1 oz per breast when I pumped in place of nursing..on a good day. Sad Oh well. 

• imageBackthePack:
    When I do pump in place of a feeding, I usually pump about 7 oz total, so about 3.5 from each side (although usually it's like 4 from one side & 3 from another and it rotates which side depending on which side I started on the last feeding). I'm not sure if that's normal, but that's my experience.

ditto. i'm an oversupplier though. ;-)

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• When I was EPing I could get 8 to 9 oz at a time during about a 20 to 25 min pumping session.  That's why I was torn about quitting. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• By about 4-5 months I was getting 5+ from one side and 3+ from the other.  But that was only after EPing 8ish times a day for about an hour each time to try to decrease my number of clogged ducts.  I think my body thought I had twins by that point, seriously.  For the first couple months it wasn't nearly that high.  And I always waited until I had a second let down and then pumped that completely.  They were always in place of feedings; I never fed and pumped.  Kira eventually learned to replace a couple pumpings, thankfully.
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • IF i pump in place of a feeding in the morning, i can get up to 8 oz combined. any other time? no more than 4-5 oz or so. if i pump after a feeding, i can usually get an oz combined (which i'm now using to make henry's oatmeal). i've never had an oversupply, and i'd argue that i have a fairly low supply, but it seems adequate for henry.
  • imagewithoutshoes:

I've only pumped once in place of a feeding (and that time, I only pumped one breast)? That time I pumped 5oz and had to stop b/c my bottle was full.? When I pump after a feeding, I usually get anywhere from 2-4 oz (from one breast) depending on how much the little one eats. ?

When J was young & I would pump in place of a feeding, this would happen all the time & it was so frustrating for a bottle to get full! I would get about 10 oz in 10 min - it was insane! But I am very thankful I've never had low supply issues.?

• When Nate was younger, I could get anywhere from 6 oz total to 10-12 oz total.  Now the most I ever get is 7 oz total, and I'm really excited when I get that much.  That's when I pump to replace a feeding.

• Wow....Indifferent

I'm really hoping I have better luck with Baby #2.. 

• imageMrsHughesNC:

Wow....Indifferent

Hugs....

Personally I didn't have a lot when I was where you are baby age-wise, then it suddenly jumped, for what it's worth.  And that was with my pumping for a very long time each time, every 3 hours round the clock.  Please don't feel bad -- everybody is different.

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • imagealchris:
    imageMrsHughesNC:

Wow....Indifferent

Hugs....

Personally I didn't have a lot when I was where you are baby age-wise, then it suddenly jumped, for what it's worth.  And that was with my pumping for a very long time each time, every 3 hours round the clock.  Please don't feel bad -- everybody is different.

Oh yeah... Embarrassed I didn't start pumping to replace feedings until DS was 8 or 9 weeks old.  However, I did have a bit of an oversupply for quite awhile in the beginning, which helped me to be able to pump more.

• imageMrsHughesNC:

Wow....Indifferent

When I was nursing, there is no way I would read posts like this, it would upset me too much. Still does, a little bit. I hope women with good supplys (sp?) realize how lucky they are, I would have done anything to get that much milk. Even when I was taking 18 herbs a day to help my supply, the most I would get during a pumping session would be around 4 ounces (this would be in the place of a feeding.

I too am hoping it goes better with baby #2, but Ash did get some BM for 10 months, so at least I know I can do that again, if I am not able to EBF. 

Hugs Hughes, I know exactly how you feel!

• I know how you feel too Hughes. While I was on maternity leave, I would only pump in the morning once to try to build up my freezer stash. The most I would get would be 2-3 oz total. When I went back to work (3mos), I was pumping the same and really stressed about keeping up with Avery's appetite. I started Fenugreek then and since I pump a lot at work I also feel like I've improved my pumping techniques as well. I always wait for the 2nd letdown and I massage the he** out my boobs the whole time I'm pumping. That said, I'm still only getting 5 oz per pumping. On the rare occasion that I go 8hrs+ without pumping, I'll get somewhere around 9 oz-but like I said, that's rare. I know it's frustrating but you've done the best you can for Holly and that's all you can do!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"