Baby Names

which is harder for you - boy or girl name?

I KNOW what I want for a boy, but have no idea what I would name a baby girl (not a big deal since I am not even pregnant yet).?

Re: which is harder for you - boy or girl name?

• Boy was harder. Although next time around, girl will be harder since we've still got our boy name to use and we have NOTHING for a girl! We couldn't disagree more on names for the next baby if we tried.

I always liked the name Leah, so that was always going to be her name (I only let DH think it was a choice, hah!).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think boy names are way harder unless you already have found a name that you've loved from the start. Girl's names are adapted and morphed into new names all the time and it's perfectly acceptable to use them. Seems like you can use more exotic and unusual names and get away with it more easily but with boys, you can't be as creative or else they'll get beat up on the playground. The traditional boy names are the more masculine sounding (but can be boring), and the trendy names like Caiden, Aiden, and Hayden are way too popular and usually just nms.
  • Loading the player...
  • Boy name is definitely harder for us.  It will be easy if big u/s shows a girl, but there will be some debating and soul-searching if we are having a boy.

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

• Boy names were way harder for us.
  • Boy names are away harder. I have dozens of girl names that I like and only a few boy names.?
  • We had a ton of girl names but no boy names.
    DD#1 4/3/2008 TTC in 2012
  • Boy's names are waaay harder!  I'm not pregnant either, but if we had a boy, I think there would be MANY name disagreements!  We agree on so many girl names, and one for SURE!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Wow. ?I am the only one who finds girl's names impossible, at least somewhat because of my last name. I have had a favorite boy's name for years(Maxwell). Yet again, I find myself in the super-minority.
  • imageBostonGayGal:
    Wow.  I am the only one who finds girl's names impossible, at least somewhat because of my last name. I have had a favorite boy's name for years(Maxwell). Yet again, I find myself in the super-minority.

You're not the only one.  We have enough names we like if we have 3 boys.  We're still having trouble with the girl's name.  I have an idea for a first name, but finding a middle name for it is so hard.

• We have a ton of boy names that we agree on. Virtually no girl names that we agree on. So girls.
  • Boys names are much more difficult for me.  I want something strong with a great nickname and both must be masculine.  I don't mind some unisex names for girls, but won't use them for a boy even if I really like them (like Reagen, Avery, etc.) which further limits my choices.  Plus, I would really like to use an Italian name and haven't found an Italian boy's name I like.  My list of possible girl's names is super long by comparison!
  • boy names are much harder for sure for us!
    EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• imageSunshineKira:
    I think boy names are way harder unless you already have found a name that you've loved from the start. Girl's names are adapted and morphed into new names all the time and it's perfectly acceptable to use them. Seems like you can use more exotic and unusual names and get away with it more easily but with boys, you can't be as creative or else they'll get beat up on the playground. The traditional boy names are the more masculine sounding (but can be boring), and the trendy names like Caiden, Aiden, and Hayden are way too popular and usually just nms.

agree

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Girl names are definitely harder for us. ?We are on opposite ends of the spectrum with what we like. ?The boy name was easy because we are following Greek tradition and will use DH's father's name, if we have a boy. ?We have our big u/s on Thursday, so we'll know if we are set with a name or if we have a long road ahead of us!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Girl names are WAY harder for us.  We have 3 boy names I would use for sure.  Girl names - it took us until having DD in the hospital before we named her.  If we ever have another girl, have NO clue what we'll name her!
  • girl names are a ton harder for us than boys names.
  • Girl was harder in a way. DH only likes one girl name and I could only come up with a few so I guess it made for an easy choice. I could come up with boys names for days.

We have Penelope Jane (this baby)

Josephine Lily

Adelina Felicity

Cecilia Louise

and for boys

Abram Lucas

Oliver Noah

Colin Gabriel

Judah Benjamin

Simon Felix

and many more I like.

• when i was young all i thought about were girls names and i never had boys names, but since we got married i've changed my mind on many girls names and had a hard time agreeing with dh about girls names, so boys names were easier fror us surprisingly

• Boy names are harder for us, and I completely agree with the pp about girls' names adapting over time and having a little bit more "creative freedom."
  • Boy.  The ONLY reason we found out what we were having at the big U/S was because we had NO names for boys.  I wanted to take a couple names with us to the hospital so that we could choose which one we felt fit the baby, and if it was going to be a boy, I really needed the entire 20 weeks to search high and low.

We had our top 2 girls names already at 20 weeks, even though I continued to search just in case there were better names out there, ya know?

We are planning to get started on #2 soon...we STILL have no boy names :(

• Boy is soo hard for us to agree on. I think we've been through every single name in the book 100,000 Baby names and hes only liked 2 that i did haha. Girls is still difficult but i get a lot more Yes's or I like's than boys names
  • Girl names.
    Oy with the poodles already!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I could name 10 boys if I had them. I struggled my whole pg finding anything for a girl.
  • Boys seem to be harder for us.
  • Boys are way harder! We're not even pregnant yet.. but we have our girls name for sure (Addison Faith) and several possibilities for boys... but we can't decide!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"