Washington Babies

Owwww.... =(

Pumping HURTS!!   I pumped today for the first time and 45 minutes later my nipples are still throbbing!!    I never had any pain or any problems at all breastfeeding, so this kind of sucks now...    Any tips for me to lessen the pain?? 

Re: Owwww.... =(

• My guess is you had it turned up too high?
  • The breastshield could be the wrong size.  If it's too small then it won't fit properly and you would probably feel pain.  Not sure which Medela breast pump you have but the Medela Instyle has different breastshield sizes you can buy and the standard size is a 24mm.  According to their website they have sizes up to 36mm.   
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys, after some research I have found that I need a smaller breastshield size. fingers crossed for a less painful pumping experience in the future!  =)

• Also make sure you wait for your let-down before you really start pumping. This will make it much more comfortable and you will get more milk! hth!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey girl...you should give me a call (I think you still have my number - we need to get together anyway).  I ended up having to pump exclusively to provide breast milk to Madelyn.  She would never latch.  So...I spend 3 - 4 hours a day pumping :|

A couple of suggestions aside from finding the right horn.

1.  Lube them up before you pump - use olive oil or Lansinoh.  I personally use Lansinoh.  It'll make the horns a little sticky - but if you buy a couple of them, you can pump several times before you have to wash them (storing them in the fridge in between).

2.  Start out on the lowest setting and work up with time.  In face, you'll get more milk on the lower settings than the higher ones if the higher ones hurt because your let down reflex won't respond to the pain if it hurts.

3.  Take a hot shower before you pump, if you can.

4.  Lube them up after you pump and wear cotton breast pads to protect them from getting bumped, etc. when they're super sensitive.

Pumping is HARD work....so I applaud you for getting started now.  It will get easier with time - and there are lots of goodies you can use to help make your pumping time more productive.  Call me if you want to talk more :):)

• Another thing on the lines of a hot shower, if you can't do that. I would fill diapers with hot water and let them sit on my breasts for a couple of minutes. I had to exclusively pump and some days this was a HUGE help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"