Baby Names
Options

Gabriella?

My friend wants to name her daughter Gabriella. She is Italian, but her husband isn't. Her husband likes it, but would prefer a Biblical name. She likes very feminine names. What do you think of Gabriella? Any suggestions for feminine Biblical names? She doesn't like Esther, Elizabeth, Sara, Rachel or Mary.?

Re: Gabriella?

• Options

Leah is one of my favorite biblical names.

I love Gabriella, too.

• Options
    I love Gabriella!  And Biblical girl's names are hard because they are things like Dorcus.  But other than the one's she doesn't like, there's Leah, Tabitha, Noah, Ruth, and Naomi.  Those are the only girls names I can think of that are 'normal'-ish and not something like Tamar.  GL to your friend!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I love Gabriella.

Biblical names I like: Anna, Delilah, Hannah and Leah

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love Gabriella. 
    DD#1 4/3/2008 TTC in 2012
  • Options
    I think Gabriella is a beautiful name. If your friend likes to use nn, they could be Gabbie (Gabby), Ella, or I know a little girl named Gabriella who uses Bella (a little far from Gabriella, but cute.)
  • Options
    I am also Italian and really like Gabriella.  I'm not a fan of the NN Gabby though.  Brie would work though.  I also like Leah and Hannah.
  • Options

Other biblical names:

Eve, Deborah, Rebekah, Abigail, Lilith, Judith 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    Gabriella *is* a biblical name -- it's the feminine form of the Archangel Gabriel's name.

To a previous poster: I would advise against Delilah.  Most people who want "Biblical" names for their children don't want to name them after biblical villains. Wink
  • Options

imagerosenjoe:
    Gabriella *is* a biblical name -- it's the feminine form of the Archangel Gabriel's name.

Ditto this.

But also, Rachel, Dinah, Esther, Hannah and Havilah are Biblical.  

• Options

What about Lilith for a Biblical name?

Just kidding.

Seriously, how about Leah, Rachel, or Hannah?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Diana, Lydia, Joanna, Julia (surprising I know - Romans 16:15 - small reference but you could still claim it), Naomi, Phoebe, Priscilla, Rebecca, Susannah, Taletha and Victoria are all names that are at least mentioned somewhere in the Bible. (and no I didn't know this all off the top of my head) Good luck!
  • Options

imagerosenjoe:

To a previous poster: I would advise against Delilah.? Most people who want "Biblical" names for their children don't want to name them after biblical villains. Wink

When you look up Biblical baby girl names, Gabriella does not show up. I think he wants something that is actually in the Bible. I agree with you that Delilah is not the best. ?

• Options

Well, considering Gabriella is the feminine form of Gabriel, I think the husband should be satisfied with the Biblical aspect. The name, then, should mean "strong woman of God". Gabriel is mentioned in both the Old and New Testament and he was one of the archangels.

Otherwise, here are some choices (maybe for middle names?)

Gabriella Joanna

Gabriella Rachel

Gabriella  Ruth

Gabriella  Susanna

Gabriella  Zipporah

On their own:

Abigail

Abilene

Adah

Ariel

Chloe 

Claudia

Eve

Hannah

Julia

Lydia

Magdalene

Miriam

Moriah

Phoebe

Rebekah

Tabitha

Zillah

• Options

I love Gabriella. What about using a  biblical mn?

• Acacia
    • Anna
    • Ariel
    • Beryl
    • Carmel
    • Eden
    • Hannah
    • Keren
    • Leah
    • Lois
    • Mara
    • Micha