Preemies

Reflux

My daughter is 8 weeks old, born at 32 weeks, 2 days. ?In the NICU she had some reflux > they kept her bed inclined and she used a sling. ?They never administered meds as we were just trying to control it with the incline, etc. We we came home a month ago and continued the incline. ?We keep her upright for at least 30 min. after meals as well. ?All seemed fine, but over the last week, she's gotten much worse. ?She's screaming, has decreased her milk intake, spits up, etc....she just can't seem to get comfortable. ?I was trying to decided if it was just gas or really reflux, but her decreased feedings made me really concerened. ?Anyway, we took her to the peditrician today and they gave us some Zantac. I've only administers one dose, but it didn't go very well as she spit it up. ?I just finally got her to sleep. ?

Anyway have expereince with reflux and Zantac? ?Do her symptoms sound like your childs? ?Did the Zantac help you out? ?How long did the reflux last? ?Any advice in how to calm her?

Re: Reflux

• DS was diagnosed w/ reflux around 4 months, we also use Zantac.  He used to spit up a lot, after most/all feedings and the amount was a lot.

Our pedi told us Zantac masks the symptoms, but doesn't eliminate the amount of stomach acid produced; other medicines will actually help decrease the production of acids.  Therefore Zantac is quick acting, giving relief to a baby quickly, others take time to build up in their system and work (a few days to a week).

The Zantac has helped a lot, DS will spit up once in awhile, but not everyday and definitely not the amount as before.  DS didn't like it at first, we have it flavored and its gotten much easier.  It's strong-tasting plain.

Pedi said we'll stay on it for a while, then around 8-9 months we can try going without.  DS currently takes 2ml twice/day; I think we'll go down to once/day and see what happens (maybe around 9 months).  If things go OK, we'll try it without.  They are suppose to out-grow reflux, but it runs huge in my family (for adults) so I hope its something DS doesn't have all his life. 

Lilypie - (vulX)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Thanks for the reply.....

They gave us peppermint....not that she'll know it's mint....it probably just doesn't taste like breast milk I'm sure. ? Anyway, we're doing 1 ml twice a day....we'll see. ?Pedi said the same thing about how it'll will just mask the symptoms, but she made it sound like nothing will cure it except surgery and we're obvisouly far away from needing that. ?She did say there was another med that takes 3 days to work, but that we should try the Zantac first. ?I'm hoping the next dose goes better.

In the NICU they said most babies grow out of it?and the pedi agreed, but said usually between 7 months and a year.?

• Loading the player...
  • We had Brandon's zantac flavored which helped slightly but I found the easiest thing was putting it in a bottle with an ounce of formula. It helped to disguise the flavor and it was the only way I could get him to take it.
    Conceived twins with IVF January 2008. Lost baby a at 20 1/2 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes and held onto baby b. Baby b (Brandon) born at 26 weeks and 1 day on July 5, 2008. Wesley born full term on June 29, 2011. My blog http://karenandstu.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • We've got grape, but if you taste it, it reminds me of a schnapps flavored, it's got that warm "alcoholy" feeling to it.

Give it a few days, if things don't seem better call your pedi/nurse, maybe they'd up the dosage or decide to try a different medicine.

Here's to hoping all reflux babies grow out of it!  Smile

Lilypie - (vulX)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• The only way DD will take her Zantac is if we put it in a small bottle with 10-15 mL in it, followed by her normal big bottle. It definitely helps her out. She used to scream when she ate, now she has no problems, except for when she outgrows her dose and needs a bigger prescription.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS' reflux got worse as soon as he got home from the NICU too.  We have him on Reglan and Prevacid.  It took some adjusting of the meds to get things under control.  Taking Prevacid 2 times a day was the magic bullet.  DS is really good about taking meds orally, but when we started giving it to him, we would mix it in with about 10ml of formula and then give him his bottle.  I've been told that most full term babies outgrow reflux between 9-12 months.
  • it definitely sounds like reflux. Zantac didn't help Robbie at all, but he tried it before we found out he has a hiatal hernia.
    The hernia was repaired but he still had a lot of trouble with reflux and our magic bullet was finally Prevacid Solutabs. (the liquid worked briefly but then stopped)

We just found out his hernia has recurred and is being fixed again.. we'll see what happens after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"