TTC After a Loss
Options

Other options besides D&C

I posted this on the PL board, but thought I would get your opinions as well.

So I'm in the process of my second missed miscarriage. The first one I had a D&C. The current one I'm still not showing any signs of miscarrying naturally and the only other option they gave me was to have another D&C. I asked them about that pill you can take but they said I would need to get that at an abortion clinic. I need your help here ladies. Is there something else I can do, or should I just get the D&C?

Thanks!

Re: Other options besides D&C

• Options

My m/c wasn't progressing on its own, so I took Cytotec (Misoprostol).  I am suprised they said you need to go to an abortion clinic to get it considering they use it for other purposes.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • Options
    They should be able to prescribe you cytotec, not sure if I spelled that right or not.  It shouldn't have to come from an abortion clinic.  If you don't get the answers your are looking for, please seek a second opinion.
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi, I am so sorry about your losses.  I took misoprostal for my first m/c and had a d&c with my second.  I had a lot of complications with the misoprostal (didn't fully expell the pregnancy materials, spiked fever, bled for almost 9 weeks).  With my second pg, I switched OBs and my new one told me they don't use misoptostal for that reason, so I'm guessing your OB is under the same policy. 

All that being said, a d&c also has a risk for scar tissue (I had that with mine, it was later removed surgically) so I don't think one is better than the other. 

Personally, I felt that the d&c was easier emotionally since I didn't have to deal with the physical aspect of it, but it is a very personal decision.  If you want to do the misoprostal, I would suggest calling other OBs in your area ... you could go to the abortion clinic, but that would probably be very tough emotionally, I know I couldn't do it.  My only word of caution would be to make sure the prescribing dr was on top of it, and if it took to long to expel or you had any fevers, would be ready to perform a d&c.

Sorry for all the negative reviews ... I know it is a lot to digest, especially when you are going through the emotions of a m/c, but I always wanted to get all the details, good and bad, straightforward.  GL with whatever you choose.

• Options

I am in the same situation and I decided for a D&C.

My Ob said over 70% of people who take cytotec end up having an emergency D&C and the pain is not worth it.

I wish things would go naturally for both of us....

Hugs

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am so sorry you are here going through this again. 

That's not true -- you don't need an abortion clinic to prescribe you medication to induce naturally.  It is not approved by the FDA, but doctors prescribe misoprostol (cycotec sp???) which is an ulcer medication that you can take internally or orally to induce.  Can I ask you why you don't want to get the D&C?

I used misoprostol and ended up having to get a D&C 2.5 months later anyways.  Having a natural m/c was so traumatic to me -- heaven forbid this happen again, I would have a D&C.  A D&C normally helps your body recover quicker from everything I have researched (and especially from my experience).  Also miso does not always work for everyone.

<<big hugs>>

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.I agree with the other posts: it's a very personal decision but i opted for the d&c just because I couldn't take the waiting game of when the miscarriage would happen on its own. when my missed miscarriage was discovered, it had already been two weeks since the heartbeat had stopped so the dr. didn't know how long it would take for it to happen on its own. and the meds. were brought up as an option but I was honestly too scared of all of the bleeding and the emotional aspect of it for me. Good luck with your decision. Big hugs to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"