Adoption

DA Ladies

So after a convo with DH, we have decided to investigate DA. We have to wait ~2 years to even start applying to the IA program that we like, and we may want to pursue DA. I am under the impression that the wait time and cost for a white newborn is astronomical. Can anyone shed some light on the situation for us?

If you would rather email me it's michelle.gildersleeve at gmail dot com. TIA! 

Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!

Re: DA Ladies

• With the organization with whom we are working, the estimated wait time from when your profile goes "live" is six to nine months.  That said, I am anticipating more like a year. Not bad in my opinion.

I found the cost pretty consistent across the board-  approx 28K-38K.  While there was a well regarded attorney in California we considered due to his low fees, his wait times were much much longer. 

I am happy to chat more and give you more specifics off-forum if you'd like.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • We're doing DA, but are open to any race so that plays with our timeline and cost- sort of.  I do know that the agency we are working with in our state does primarily caucasian newborns, just because of the lack of diversity here.  Their costs were around $20,000, but the program was closed when we applied.  So the costs may vary depending on where you are and how active the agency is/ demand from adoptive parents, etc. 

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • First of all, there ARE organizations that charge more for a HWI (healthy white infant).  That is the most disgusting thing to me -- I can't even express how much that makes me want to puke.  How can you place a higher value on one life over another??

Anyway.  That's beside the point, but I just thought I'd throw that out there as something to watch out for.

Wait time... totally depends.  I remember just wanting a "number," even a ballpark!  But where some people wait two years, others wait two days!  I know people in each category, and who knows why one's wait was so short and the other's was so long!  *Our* wait from approval to being chosen was about six months.  Another almost three months until the birth (she was born a whole month later than what we were originally told!!).  The entire process from start to finish was about 16 months I think.  The entire adoption was roughly $15K.

• Ours is 30K and they say it takes anywhere from 9 to 18 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "In a perfect world every home has a dog and every dog has a loving home." www.animalrescueneworleans.org Photobucket
  • We're looking at $15,000 to $30,000, and the average wait time after the profile goes live is 14-15 months.
  • WoW! It seems like it would be smart for us to get started sooner than later, even though we would like to have a bit more time before we adopt. I guess we need to factor in wait time. It seems that while some happen more quickly, the general rule seems to be at least 9+ months.
    Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
  • Define astronomical.

The agencies we're looking at won't give an average wait time. They state that their longest wait right now is 2 years. It looks to be more like 12-18 months.

Fees range from $17-34K

• Our agency is around $16K - and we retained attorney of our own which should run another $4-6K.  Plus whatever BM expenses come up (our agency said vast majority are under $1500).

Wait time from homestudy approval was quoted as 6 - 10 months.

We started paperwork in late Dec./early Jan. and should be wrapped up and ready for profile-showing in Mid-April.  So far, process has been relativley painless. . .

2 years TTC with 5 losses, 1 year recovering, 6 months applying for adoption approval, and almost a year waiting for a placement. Then, a miracle BFP at age 36!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"