Austin Babies

She is driving me CRAZY

DH's cousin is in town for this weekend and next visiting from Canada. She is wonderful--very friendly and outgoing...and very very opinionated. In the four or so hours we visited last night, I heard about how fat Texans are, how bad the food is here, why having more than 2 kids is stupid (the siblings won't bond as much as if you only have 2), why you can only name your kid after dead relatives (rather than live ones...or not do it at all), and how if you don't use your dead relatives actual name, you have to go with a name that starts with the same letter, and why it's ok for her to smoke around me (she had a friend who smoked while pregnant, and her baby was ok).

None of these were said in jest. All were absolutely, 100% set in stone rules.

Poor DH is having to run a lot of interference so that I don't tell her exactly what is on my "Texan-love the food-want 3 kids-not using a dead relative's name or letter-don't smoke around me" mind.

Dear Bump: You suck.

Re: She is driving me CRAZY

• Wow. Sounds like someone I would LOVE to spend quality time around.
  • Well she just sounds like a peach.

• Loading the player...
  • bbuuuuuhhhh.?

?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, she sounds like a nightmare.
    Business Cat. image
  • what a fun visit you will have!  I'm sure it's no fun combined with pregnancy hormones. If I was in this situation pregnant - I'd probably be so mad that I started crying!

Especially with the smoking thing, I'd have to say something like "I know you think it's fine, but my doctor has really been insistant on keeping me away from smoke and I think he knows best.  Plus, if anything were to be wrong with DC's health, I'd HATE to have you to blame."

I agree w/ PP - what a peach!

• oh AND, we were showing DH's brother the video of the sonogram (we had already shown her when she got here earlier), and she got out her laptop and started showing videos of her niece. While ours was still playing.

Angry 

• imagerssnlvr:

and she got out her laptop and started showing videos of her niece

Angry 

eh. i heard her niece was ugly. 

i can't believe i just said that. i'm sure her niece is pretty and smart...but no bbyrssn.

• imagemcurban:

i'm sure her niece is pretty and smart...but no bbyrssn.

yeah...her niece is four years old, fluent in Russian and English and is about to start a French immersion school. She doesn't play with toys but rather prefers to draw. 

My kid is definitely going to be able to kick that kid's @ss. Even if he/she can only speak English while he/she does it.

• A last gem while whe was on her way out of the house w/ DH:

her: Wow, so the nursery is going to be a pain to get to from your room, eh? (if you've been in my house, you know it's a whole 10 steps.) Well, you could always put the kid in the bathroom in your room.

me: (joking) yeah, we could just throw some blankets into our tub and let them chill in there.

her: yep. That's what my brother did.

Zip it! 

• imagerssnlvr:

A last gem while whe was on her way out of the house w/ DH:

her: Wow, so the nursery is going to be a pain to get to from your room, eh? (if you've been in my house, you know it's a whole 10 steps.) Well, you could always put the kid in the bathroom in your room.

me: (joking) yeah, we could just throw some blankets into our tub and let them chill in there.

her: yep. That's what my brother did.

Zip it!?

Oh. My. Word. ?

• OMG, that would drive me insane. At least she's gone now.
  • Kuddos to you for not throwing a punch (at least I'm assuming).  Ugh.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerssnlvr:
    imagemcurban:

i'm sure her niece is pretty and smart...but no bbyrssn.

yeah...her niece is four years old, fluent in Russian and English and is about to start a French immersion school. She doesn't play with toys but rather prefers to draw. 

My kid is definitely going to be able to kick that kid's @ss. Even if he/she can only speak English while he/she does it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. ROFL 

She gives Canadians a bad name. Perhaps she needs to meet me (a semi normal one) so she can learn some manners. We have names for those French immersion kids and they are not pretty Wink

• Ok...no one can be that much of an a$$--do you think you are on the show, What Would You Do? If so, you are "passing with flying" colors!!! I'm so sorry you have to deal with her...
    Jennifer--
    imageimageimage
  • Stop talking about my best friend that way.  We agree on everything.
  • Indifferent She is brave. I wouldn't believe the "my friend smoked while pregnant" story because

1. I've seen the baby of a woman who smoked and it was truly awful and terribly depressing

and

2. Clearly, she's never been around a pregnant woman or she'd STFU out of fear for her life, LOL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"