Working Moms
Options

BM storage question

When it comes to BM storage, I've been going by the 5-5-5 rule:

5 hours at room temperature; 5 days in the fridge; 5 months in the separate freezer

If I want to freeze BM, do I have to freeze it right after I pump or can it be in the fridge up to 5 days and then freeze it?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: BM storage question

• Options
    I don't know what the "rule" is, but I always try to freeze the freshest milk possible.  I probably wouldn't freeze milk that I had in the fridge for a few days, but that's just me.
  • Options
    I would freeze it fresh.  I have thawed some of my milk that had been frozen after being refrigerated for a few days, and it definitely had more of a metallic taste.  The fresher milk seemed better.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would freeze it after a day or two, max.  Also, really only 5 hours at RT?  I thought it was more like 12.
  • Options
    You can leave it in the fridge for 5 days and freeze it.  I've done it with zero problems and read it in a number of places.  It may be better to freeze it before that, if you can, but sometimes I don't know if we'll use it in time or not.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It can be in the fridge for 5 days and then go in the freezer.  I kept all my milk during the work week in the fridge and then Friday nights whatever was left I would freeze.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have always read that BM can last a week in the fridge, not 5 days.

I have frozen it after its been in the fridge for a few days and had no problems. The fresher the better though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"