Washington Babies

Agree or Disagree: Dress for the job you want

The company that I am working part time for is very casual.  You can wear basically anything (appropriate) that you want:  jeans, t-shirts, whatever.  I have been wearing jeans most of the time when I come in to the office.  However, now that there is potentially an opportunity for me in 9-12 months to get a good promotion/full time position, I am wondering if I should step up my dress.  I don't have work clothes as I have worked in casual work environments for so long and then have been not working for 2 years.  I could put together a couple semi-professional outfits (slacks and a sweater), but I don't own any jackets or even button down shirts.  Should I invest the $? 
T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.

Re: Agree or Disagree: Dress for the job you want

• I would maybe wait it out another month or so before you start buying a whole bunch of clothes. You can really also dress up a nice pair of jeans. That's what I do at my work. We are business casual all week and then on fridays we get to wear jeans. But the rest of our outfit still has to be business casual. So instead of tennis shoes and a t-shirt with jeans I wear my dress maryjanes or some form of dressy looking shoes, nice jeans (dark denim is amazing too!) and a nice blouse, button down shirt or short sleeve shirt with a cardigan over it. Then I always say, dress it up with some earrings and a nice necklace. Let me know if you need any ideas. =]

But I would say, dressing for the job you want is key. It looks good on you and that always helps when you want that job. HTH =]

• I agree with the statement, and coming from California, I was used to dressing up alot more then Seattle.  I triedbeing casual but then just felt frumpy.  So I dressed up again.  Did I get raises?  NOPE  but the at my work I saw people who were crazy casual who got money thrown at them.
    Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • Loading the player...
  • How does the person in the job you want dress?  think of that instead of how you traditionally think of prefessional dress. 

I think it?s best to keep in the general realm of everyone else.  If everyone wears jeans and you start with slacks and blazers, it looks more of a statement that you don?t fit in than you?re professional. I agree about dressing up the jeans?better quality jeans ( I really think designer jeans look better, maybe because I can?t wear them) , not sneakers but nice flats or boots, not t-shirts but sweaters and blouses. Maybe a jacket or two. It?ll step it up without being out of the cultural norm for the company.

• I agree, but mostly because when I am dress professionally and look polished and put together I am more confident and perform better.  When I dress down, I usually feel frumpy and less confident.  We're allowed to wear jeans everyday here unless we have client/vendor mtgs.

I would just start by getting a couple of things to dress up what you already have.  I always wear heals with my jeans at work, that and a nice sweater or top.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How does you manager dress? Maybe dress the same as him/her? I think a button up and jeans would look nice.
  • I run operations for a large manufacturing company. Absolutely dress for the job you want. Do it in stages if cost is an issue and there are ways you can do it without spending a lot of money.  My judgement is what you are wearing - if a customer showed up or you were called into a meeting with a customer unexpectantly, would you be embarrassed or be able to throw on a jacket and be okay with it.  Good luck!  Jeans can be dressed up and even on casual days, I keep that measurement in mind.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm also wondering what the management types in your office dress like - are they in jeans and such too, or do they dress more professionally?  If they dress up more you'll probably want to start adding more professional items to your wardrobe.  I dunno if I'd change everything overnight though, you'll get a ton of, "Wow you're dressed up today!" comments.  :)

Since you have time before your job changes I'd take your time and find good versatile pieces to add to what you already own, maybe start with a lightweight fitted blazer/jacket or something you can wear with jeans to make it look more pulled together.  :)

-Deborah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"