Indiana Babies

Help me Help a friend, work/pregnancy..

Ok so one of my best girl friends has been looking and interviewing for a new job. She was offered a position 2 days ago for a position that she could potentially like, but it's in a completely different field than what she's in now which makes her a little nervous.

She's miserable in her current job, not enough to do, not challenging and she's bored.  She has pretty good benefits at this job and would be eligible for FMLA since she's been with the company for four years and they would pay 60% of her marternity leave pay.

PROBLEM, the night before the offer came in, she found out she is pregnant, which she and DH are so happy over. She's now confused about the offer because:

1. She won't get FMLA benefits since she hasn't been at the company for a year.

2. She will only have built up about 5 days of vacation time by the time the baby is due, the company also gives one week off for maternity leave. So she and DH would have to save the rest of the money in terms of time off.

3. What if she accepts the position and 16 weeks down the road she says she's pregnant and they come up with some excuse to fire her, as in she's not performing satisfactory.  Then she's out of a job.

4. Would you go to the HR gal and say, I just learned I'm pregnant and wanted to be up front with you before I accept the position. I will need to take 6 weeks off for maternity leave??

5. Do you just take the position and go on as if you didn't know you were pregnant? 

What would you do? I really don't know what to tell her, I do know that she's miserable at her current job, but don't want her to risk losing her new job.  Did any of you face a situation like this?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help me Help a friend, work/pregnancy..

• Option #5 for sure.

Also, post this on the Money Matters board, you'll get a lot of *really* good advice from some smart women over there.  (not that this board isn't smart, but there are lots of girls there who work in HR and/or are very career oriented)

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • Thanks Jen, I will post on M&M!
  • Loading the player...
  • If she really wants to take a new job, I would talk to HR first.  She is going to have to have some unscheduled appts before the first 16 weeks and will need to take time off.  Is she for sure going to stay full time after the baby comes or coudl she hold out at her current job till she has the baby and begins to get used to that big change?

If it were me, I would probably just stay at my current job.  I know when I first found out I was pregnent I was not ready to learn anything new and really just wanted to research things.  I know it is hard to be at a job where you arent enjoying anymore, but is it worth the 60% pay plus already know the job? 

Another thing to think about is how flexible are both jobs?  Is ones hours more flexible than the others.  Your friend  will have to do what is best for the family and weigh the options. 

Amy

• her current job is so flexible, as long as some is in the office, then her boss could care less when she comes and goes. Her slowest time at work is when the baby would be due.  She's just very unhappy right now. Maybe next year she'll see the unhappiness differently with a new baby at home!!! I can't imagine how hard this decision is for her. I know she's been looking for something new for a while!
  • I went through this exact same thing.

Dream job opened up, I was 8-9 weeks pregnant, and not real happy where I was at the time.

I called the hiring company's HR department and spoke frankly to them about it, making sure not to mention which job it was or my name, in case I ended up going for it (I wouldn't have told them until they extended an offer to me). Obviously, they couldn't offer me FMLA protection, and the time-off was on an accrual system, and I would have only accrued, like 2-3 days. She told me that sometimes in this situation, depending on the job and department, that managers have written into peoples' employment contracts that they will allow 6-8 weeks unpaid time off for maternity leave. But otherwise, there was nothing in place to protect my job.

I ended up not going for it. I'm really thankful now, because DH lost his job, and if my "dream" job hadn't worked out, I don't know where we'd be. Plus, my job has recently taken a MUCH improved turn for the better, and I am so happy with how I've been treated throughout my pregnancy!

I agree - the Money Matter board will have excellent advice - I've seen this questions asked a lot.

I think it really depends on the person. I'm totally NOT a risk-taker, and it wasn't worth it for me. Some people are risk-takers and would do it in a second if it meant that they were happier!!

Brenda

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageholdn5:
    her current job is so flexible, as long as some is in the office, then her boss could care less when she comes and goes. Her slowest time at work is when the baby would be due.  She's just very unhappy right now. Maybe next year she'll see the unhappiness differently with a new baby at home!!! I can't imagine how hard this decision is for her. I know she's been looking for something new for a while!

After reading the replies on MM, I think maybe she should stick around at her current job.

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • This is just my personal opinion, but I would stay put.  Everytime I'm unhappy at my job and think about finding a new one, 3 months later things have improved in some way or I've found a way to adapt to that particular issue that bothered me so much.  I would hate to go through starting a new job and dealing with FMLA/new issues while being pregnant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"