Preemies

F/U to reflux/apnea + caffine question

Well we got the results back from his monitor and so far hes had 56 episodes that were 16 seconds or less and 8 that were 20 seconds or more.

We are starting caffine tomorrow. My pedi is pretty sure it's due to reflux. So we upped the meds a little and hopefully he will out grow it soon!

Do you notice a difference in sleep/alertness once the caffine was started?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: F/U to reflux/apnea + caffine question

• yes most definately.  DD came home on the apnea monitor and also caffeine and Reglan and Zantac and Simply Thick.  She came home on Dec 3 and outgrew the caffeine dose in 2 weeks.  She was off the monitor on Dec 24 and was fortunate to have zero episodes once she came home.
  • Ruby was always on caffeine, but I did not notice a change in her behavior or sleep when we stopped it?

She came home on caffeine, Reglan, and Prilosec. We rarely had alarms, but had none after her due date. We then stopped the caffeine to see if she would start to have alarms, but she did not. After than we were able to lose the monitor altogether! We dropped the Reglan successfully too, but she's still on Prilosec for her reflux which works wonders!

• Loading the player...
  • we came home on a monitor, but no caffeine. we started caffeine after his due date when we found he was still having apnea incidents even though the alarm wasn't sounding (between 15-20 seconds).  the first day the caffeine dose was 80mg (91mg in a 20oz mt dew!) and DS showed absolutely zero effects. slept the same way as always. caffeine doesn't seem to affect me, and apparently it doesn't affect him either! we just had the first download after caffeine and the apnea has improved (even though it doesn't affect his sleep, which was a concern i had). another week on caffeine and four weeks off and hopefully he'll be off the monitor at 8 weeks past his due date!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"