Philadelphia Babies

Bryn Mawr vs. Lankenau Hospital

I'm trying to decide between delivery at Bryn Mawr vs. Lankenau and would like feedback regarding people's experiences with each hospital.  Also, which facility is "newer"???

Thanks,

Mary

Re: Bryn Mawr vs. Lankenau Hospital

• Hi Mary. I have not delivered at either of these hospitals, however I was present for the labor and birth of my niece and a good friend's daughter. Both hospitals are great. Bryn Mawr seemed brighter and more cheerful. The rooms at Bryn Mawr also seemed nicer. For health care, both hospitals did a phenomenal job. Maybe some of the other posters have had experiences that negate this, Have you been for a tour yet? If not, it's worth it. I went with my brother-in-law (Lakenau) and they were very detailed in their explanation and genuinely nice.

Good luck!

reyna

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have heard great things about both of them. Lankenau is 'newer'. The maternity ward has just been re-done in the past year. Their delivery rooms are huge w/ flat screen tvs and wifi internet. They are a learning hospital though. So there may be nursing students observing your care/delivery. You can request if you would not like them to be present though.  Bryn Mawr is not a learning hosp. w/ great reputation. Tough decision  :)  I just went w/ Lankenau b/c that is where my OB delivers babies.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i delivered at bryn mawr and loved it. great experience. nurses were wonderful.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Marisue- Thank you for asking this question! I am currently deciding between the same, and I am interested to see the responses. Please also post if you make your decision or take a tour. I am not pg yet, but doing a little pre-planning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Lankenau just redid everything within the last couple of years.  I gave birth a BMH but I needed to use the MFM docs from Lankenau.  It depends on your needs.

I worked at both (I am a doula) and both hospitals have great staff.

I have PERSONAL exp. with the NICU at BMH and they hold a special place in my hear.

Jenn Mossholder

jenn@doulamom.com

• Even though Lankanau Maternity unit is newer (and my sister and friend work there), I am going to Bryn Mawr.  Bryn Mawr is closer to my house PLUS, my mom has worked there for 30 plus years!  Also, I used to work there a few years ago, so I know quite a few people.  I hoping for VIP service---HAHA.
  • I gave birth to my first child at Lankenau. FOR ME, and this is just my opinion, it was not a good experience. The nurses were rude from the minute I walked in in labor and lacked knowledge of breastfeeding. The rooms were so small (they have since redone them, not sure if they are any bigger), They treated me like a prisoner and wouldn't even let me walk the halls with my baby. I told them not to give the baby a paci in the nursery and they did anyway. It was really not how i pictured the birth of my daughter. That said, my second child was born at the birth center (which I totally loved) and their back up hospital is bryn mawr so we did tour bryn mawr and research them and it seems like everyone i talked to about bryn mawr liked it. they have really good bf statistics. Good luck. It is a hard decision. I hope if you chose lankenau you get treated better then i did.
  • I had both my girls at Lankenau and had wonderful experiences both times.  The nurses were nice and actually encouraged me to walk the halls with my baby (I had a c/s and moving is a critical part of recovery).  Lank is the flagship hospital of the Mainline Health System and where my OB delivers (I chose her based on the fact that she delivered there). 

I have not been to the BMH maternity area but have had to take both of my girls there for other medical testing/ER visits and I'm not a fan of that hospital in general.

J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • I ended up delivering at Lankenau and it was a great experience.  I loved everyone that I had met there and they were very supportive and helpful.  The only person that I didn't like was the rude resident who was asking me questions during contractions.  When I said wait a minute I'm having a contraction she ended up asking my husband the questions.  WTF!?!

The nurses were wonderful.   My son was 6 weeks premature and the NICU nurses were especially helpful in helping me establish breastfeeding, how to bath my baby and just the usual stuff that scared us the first time parents.  My husband and I felt more prepared thanks to the NICU nurses and their concern and "education" of our premie son. 

The postpartum recovery room were a little small but it was comfortable and when I needed anything the nurses were right there with the things I've asked for.  I'm not sure about Bryn Mawr hospital (but I've heard good things about it as well).  I would recommend Lankenau based on my experience there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"