Preemies

Baby weight...his not mine

My son was born 6 weeks early at a hefty 3lbs 13oz.  He is now a little more than 8 months and is only weighing in at 12lbs 9oz.  He seems so small compared to other children his age actual and adjusted.  The peds don't seem concerned.  He eats three solid meals a day usually between 2-3 oz of solid food and then about 6 oz of bm about an hour later. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Baby weight...his not mine

• So he only takes 18 ounces of formula a day? He does seem small but as long as he is consistently gaining weight and his dr isn't concerned, I wouldn't be worried.

My son was 3lbs, 2 oz at birth (8 weeks early) and he'll be 8 months on Tuesday. He weighs about 17 lbs but if I understood what you wrote correctly, my son takes about double what yours does in bottles (30 ounces a day - 5 6 ounces bottles). He eats 2 meals a day - 2 oz of veggies or fruit and 2-3 oz of rice or oatmeal cereal. If your son seems less hungry after eating the solids, maybe you should drop one solid meal and add a bottle - the bottle has more nutrients than the food.   

• He usually has 30 ounces in bottles a day plus 3 solid meals a day that includes cereal + fruits and veggies.  He has a baby-well checkup in March, perhaps I should mention it to him.  If he's lucky perhaps he has a fast metabolism (and he didn't get it from me)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Gotcha, ok, so he actually is eating more per day than Marino. Marino's NICU neighbor was bigger than him in the NICU by 2 lbs (same adjusted age) but is now the same size as your son at 9 months. They all grow differently...as long as he is growing and ok developmentally, try not to worry too much. I know its hard - I still obsess over DS's weight even though I know he's fine.
  • My "little" guy was also a 34 weeker weighing in at 5lbs 7 oz at birth. He just turned 6 months old on Monday & we go back next Monday for his dr.appointment. At his 4 month appt he was 16lbs 4oz (he's a chunk). I'm breastfeeding him 4-5 times a day (every 3-4 hours) and he gets solid foods at lunch & dinner (fruit & veggie at lunch; cereal, fruit & veggie at dinner). All babies grow differently & gain quicker than others.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"