Working Moms
Options

Nanny question, please help!

So the daycares in my area all have a wait list of almost 3 years. I am trying to stay ahead of the game at this point and have begun looking into nannies. I had a babysitter/nanny growing up and wanted to start with this route. Well I have discussed via e-mail with  a nanny about her expectations/ my expectations. Well she divulged to me that she is 4 months pregnant. At first I was excited by this, thinking my child will have someone their own age to interact with, but now I am wondering if it would be too much to handle for a first time mom. What would be your opinion on the situation? Thank you in advance!

Re: Nanny question, please help!

• Options

How old would her child be when you need her services?  I like the idea of a playmate too, but I was honestly worthless the first couple of months after DD was born.  No way was I ready to be in charge of someone else's child too.  I wasn't getting any sleep, we were BF all the time, she had reflux/gas issues ... the list goes on.  I think if it is too soon after her LO is born, she may focus more on her own child than yours despite her best intentions. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't agree to something like this.  The first few months of motherhood are rough and you can barely keep it together for your child, let alone someone else's and your child.  I also don't like the idea of paying someone to spend time with my child and theirs.  I'd be concerned they'd play favorites. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmmm... if I had used them before they got PG, I might not have an issue with it because I'd know the type of job they did. However, if she'd be planning on coming back to work right after the baby was born, I'd be concerned because I think it might be too much for her to have a newborn plus your child.
  • Options
    I agree with the above posts. Also, you're so newly pregnant that I would wait to find someone maybe 1-2 months before you need them - like during your maternity leave.  Usually nannies looking for work are available immediately.  I did a posting on craigslist during my maternity leave and a month before I went back to work.  I found a wonderful nanny who brings her 12 month old with her. I felt like she wouldnt' be too exhausted to take care of her 12 month old and mine. It has turned out great because now my DS is older and they are little friends and play together.
  • Options
    When our nanny started, DD was 5 months and nanny had a 2 month old. It was fine...her's was sleeping a lot at the time. Now that the girls are almost 1 and 8 months, she has a really good handle on them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"