Pregnant after 35
Options

Vaccinations

Since I meeting with a potential pediatrician next week, I thought I better start researching the vaccination issue.  Would anyone care to share their opinions on the topic or maybe decisions you have made with respect to vaccinations?  Also, if you have any good resources you could direct me to, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Vaccinations

• Options

Being a parent of a child effected by vaccines, you would think that I am an activist or at least outspoken on this subject. Well, that is not the case because I can't handle peoples ignorant arguments. To me, there is no argument. It is all a personal decision.

I will tell you this..... If you are going to vaccinate...

SPREAD THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!

There is absolutely NO reason to give more then 1 shot at a time. Any doctor that tries to discourage this is only in it for the money and I would run fast from them.

Hope that helps. As you can probably see, I am very passionate about spreading out the shots. As far apart as possible.  These crazy "schedules" that doctors try to keep them on is stupid.

Debbie

• Options
    I'm going to try to go for single vaccines. At first I was all for the single vaccine, thinking "well I'm vaccinated," but the single vaccine only came into use in 1988, which means all of us were vaccinated but were given individual vaccines. I'd get the MMR if we had to, but I'm definitely leaning towards spreading them out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

All I can say is while you are researching vaccines, be sure to research the diseases they prevent.  197,000 people DIED of measles in 2007, that is with the vaccine being widespread, that is a 74% decline from 2000 world wide.  It would be very easy to have an increase very quickly if people choose not to vaccinate or to delay vaccinations

"For example,From Jama, in 1900, 21,064 smallpoxcases were reported, and 894 patients died.1 In 1920, 469,924measles cases were reported, and 7575 patients died; 147,991diphtheria cases were reported, and 13,170 patients died. In1922, 107,473 pertussis cases were reported, and 5099 patientsdied."

You have to keep in mind that the population was a lot less at that time and people lived more spread out than they do today.  If people stop  vaccinating today, these disease would come back and they would spread much faster, since people live more closely together and travel between places much more rapidly. 

• Options
    I have some friends who will swear that vaccines are harmful and would not dream of giving even one their child. Then I have other friends who are following the "schedule" to the letter. My feeling is this, give my baby what I got, how I got it. That shouldn't be that hard, but we will see when we are interviewing for a Pediatrician. I would like to spread out the shots and maybe not do as many as is normal now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thimerisol is one of the ingredients often blamed for autism.?
    It is no longer used in childrens vaccines. Therefore I feel safe sticking to the schedule.?
  • Options

I am all for vaccinations, but that MMR scares the bejeebus out of me.  DS got sick after it and my 3 year old nephew has some problems (not autism) that may be attributed to it.

That being said, I would not risk NOT getting my kids vaccinated, but I plan on spacing out the vaccinations for DS2.

• Options

My son had all his vaccines on schedule. ?I can't say I wasn't worried, still are. ?But I feel that the benefits of them out weigh the risk...and I can say this because my child doesn't seem to be affected. ?However, it does seem that Autism is a spectrum disease, and because of the way the catagorize things now the bump seems huge, but in actuallity, they have just lumped other disabilities into the autism spectrum. ?

I will say that I am not thrilled when my son is around un-vaccinated children which we do have in our family. I also don't think its fair that parents who don't vaccinate put my child at risk...still...because the vaccination isn't a gurantee and if an un-vaccinate child gets one of the diseases they can still pass it to my child...

Its a personal choice, but I feel that having your child vaccinated is not only in the best intrest of the child, but of your community!

?

Good luck with your decision...?

• Options
    Thimerisol is still used in vaccines.
  • Options

imageDebbieMc:
    Thimerisol is still used in vaccines.

Thimerisol is not used in child vaccinations. It is still used in some flu shots, but it is absolutely not used in child vax.

I have had my child vaxed on schedule. The anti-vax fanatics like Jenny McCarthy and the like have done immeasurable harm to the health of children in this country (and don't even get me started on the UK.) When you do your research, make sure you are aware of the source. There is no link between vaxes and autism. This has been studied extensively and time and time again there is no proven link.

• Options
    I am thinking about this same issue and picked up yesterday Dr. Sears book- Vaccine Book that discusses the pros and cons and also the alternative vaccine schedule.  The one issue that concerns me is that children today receive many more vaccines than we did when we were babies, whether or not that has an effect there doesn't seem to be a clear answer.  Good luck!
  • Options

My ped and I talked about this. I ended up giving them on schedule, but if you're at all concerned, then ask to have them spaced out. If the question is to vaccinate or not, I'm adament about vaccinating (plus you can't start school w/o them), but if it's all at once or spaced out, then go for spaced out if that makes you more comfortable.

I ended up following the schedule and so far so good. I guess part of me thinks that all kinds of things in our world have potential side effects. Our job as parents is to minimize those effects for our children without raising them in a bubble.

• Options
    Thanks for all of the opinions.  Yes, the question for me is not whether to vaccinate but when.  I appreciate all of the feedback.
  • Options

imageJens38:
    Thanks for all of the opinions.  Yes, the question for me is not whether to vaccinate but when.  I appreciate all of the feedback.

I would read the Dr. Sears' book and follow his delayed schedule. My son has an autistic spectrum disorder and sensory processing disorder. I don't believe that his issues are the result of vaccines, but I do believe that some children are predisposed to autism, and if vaccinations (MMR-specifically) are the trigger, then I'm all for spreading them out. I am pro-vaccine, but I don't think anyone should have 5 vaccines in one visit - especially not a 2 or 4 month old - that is crazy.

I have two good friends whose children had horrible reactions to the MMR vaccine and completely changed  - both have been diagnosed with autism. 

With this baby, I'll postpone the Hep-B vaccine at birth. I doubt my newborn will be using IV drugs or having sex, so it is just not necessary at birth. We'll also skip the chicken pox and rotavirus ones as well.

I know this is controversial and scary territory - good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"