Ash Wednesday and Lent — The Bump
D.C. Area Babies

Ash Wednesday and Lent

I know I am exempted from fasting tomorrow (all pregnant and nursing women are) but I still want to do something to mark the day and the season.  I was thinking of eliminating sweets (harder than it normally sounds, all I want lately is comfort food), but am not really feeling it.  Is anyone else going to mark the day or Lent some way?  I can't imagine giving anything up this year and I certainly don't have time to donate to any cause in it's stead.  It just seems strange to enter Lent this way.  On the other hand, I've never felt closer to God or more part of a miracle so perhaps I shouldn't worry.  Just curious what other are thinking.     

Re: Ash Wednesday and Lent

• I've been thinking of trying to work in a weekday Mass each week during Lent and/or trying to make it to the weekly lectures at St. Matthews.  Giving up a food item isn't really going to work for me this year because I've already given up most of my "fun foods" for gestational diabetes.  I am still planning to go meatless on Fridays, even though I think we're technically exempt from the abstinence requirement as well as being exempt from fasting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think I'm going to attempt to take DD to an ash wed service tomorrow. I definitely won't be fasting, but I'll probably still try to do meatless Fridays. I don't think I'm going to give anything up this year (except being pg!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As I'm smack in the middle of that "if I don't eat, I'm going to vomit" stage of morning sickness, I won't be fasting, but I will be abstaining from meat today and fridays in lent. 

I was pregnant two years ago during lent, and I had already given up caffeine, and alcohol and I knew that there was no way I was going to give up sweets or anything else food related, so I decided to do something positive instead.  So I called or wrote a letter to someone each day in lent (well, honestly it was most days in lent) to reach out to people who I thought might be lonely.  Mostly it was my grandmother or my 95 year old great aunt.  I'm not sure what I'll be doing this year, but I really liked that two years ago, especially because my grandmother passed away when my twins were 6 weeks old, I was thankful for having had those conversations with her.

• That's really beautiful Cans.  What a life giving experience.  I decided to give up personal internet usage at work.  I was pretty productive today although I sort of went stir crazy at times when I needed a break.  I'm going to try sweets as well, my resolve is greater today than yesterday. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards