Orange County Babies
Options

Maternity Leave Question

So my H and I are trying right now... we arent pregnant just yet.  But I do have a question.  I am starting to really HATE my current job and am looking for a new one.  I know that FMLA covers job security for a certain amount of months only if you have been working for the company for a year or more, but what about the standard maternity (6-8 weeks) + baby bonding (additional 6 weeks)?  Can I still get that if I switch jobs and dont work there for a year. 

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maternity Leave Question

• Options
    Small companies (less than 50 employees) don't have to offer FMLA. To be eligible for FMLA to be paid you need to be full-time and work at least 1200 hours within the year. Baby bonding is paid up to 50%.
  • Options
    Both of those benefits (disability and PFL) are paid out by the EDD.  I believe they base what you are paid on your wages for a specific period of time, but since it's not really connected to your job, I don't think it should matter if you change jobs (assuming that you have been paying in to SDI which I think most people do). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When I took my leave I was part-time and had not accrued the 1200 hours. ?I was able to take the 4 weeks before baby was born off and then 6 weeks?disability (everyone gets this)?and another 6 weeks for bonding. ?That is pretty standard - I believe. ?The thing I didn't qualify for and you won't if you don't meet the 1200 min/1 yr working there is the FMLA protection (job protection) but if you don't plan on going back (I didn't) then it really doesn't matter. ?SOME companies (BofA) will actually pay you the difference of what EDD pays you and your missing income, so basically you're getting paid your full pay check! ?Or you can pay in some kind of insurance (I think my SIL has Aflac, but not sure) and that kicks in when she was on maternity leave so it was like she was being paid full pay as well.

Hope that's somewhat helpful (and accurate) That's just my experience and that of my S'sIL.

?

BTW, EDD takes WEEKS to pay you, so have some $$ set aside when you first go on leave.?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"