Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

s/o- Chicken Pox- clicky poll

Re: s/o- Chicken Pox- clicky poll

• Options
    Ugh - exposing your child to chickenpox is so effing stupid.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageJanimal:

I don't see why it's "effing stupid" for us to expose them. When infected it's generally mild lesions lasting only a few days. They are positives and negatives to both approaches.

Marissa Marie 9/27/08
    Caleb Wolfgang 12/6/12
    Baby #3 Due Date: ? TBD at ultrasound on 10/30
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageklink11:

imageJanimal:

I don't see why it's "effing stupid" for us to expose them. When infected it's generally mild lesions lasting only a few days. They are positives and negatives to both approaches.

uhm. bad pox can sterilize boys. nft.

• Options
    imagePMJacobsen:
    imageklink11:

imageJanimal:

uhm. bad pox can sterilize boys. nft.

Good thing I have Girl.

Marissa Marie 9/27/08
    Caleb Wolfgang 12/6/12
  • Options
    imageklink11:

imageJanimal:

No, sorry. It's effing stupid.

1) there are complications with any infectious disease - my sister got encephalitis from it but thankfully survived after a long hospitalization.

2) complications from the disease are much more likely than complications from the vaccine

3) chicken pox isn't a one time thing. the virus remains in your body forever. some people have it recur later in life as shingles - quite painful!

since introduction of the vaccine, hospitalizations and deaths have decreased from 60-90%. wouldn't you want to do everything possible to decrease the chance of your baby being hospitalized and possibly dying? the vaccine offers that chance. you don't know if your baby will be the one that gets mild disease or severe disease.

• Options

And isn't that only in Adult males?

Marissa Marie 9/27/08
    Caleb Wolfgang 12/6/12
  • Options

Here's more info from CDC:

"Routine varicella vaccination for children is recommended for many reasons. More than 90% of cases, approximately 60% of hospitalizations, and 40% of deaths due to varicella occur in children less than 10 years of age. The majority of this morbidity and mortality is preventable by vaccination.

In addition, children miss an average of 5-6 days of school when they have varicella and parents or other caregivers miss 3-4 days of work to care for sick children.

The majority of adults who acquire varicella, as well as persons at high risk for severe disease who are not eligible for vaccination, contract the disease from unvaccinated children.

Most importantly, it is not possible to predict who will have a mild case of chickenpox and who will have a serious or even deadly case of disease. The vaccine is safe and effective, and should be used to prevent as many cases as possible. "

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/dis-faqs-clinic.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"