Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Is this rude?

DD hasn't been sleeping well at night. DH works during the day, so I'm often up with her at night so that isn't a zombie at work the next day.

When she naps, I nap too. It's the only way I get any sleep.

So, I started placing a note on the front door that says "Please come back later, We are napping."

My grandmother showed up while we were napping today and proceeded to bang on the door until I finally woke up (We were upstairs) and answered it. I pointed out the sign and she said "That's the rudest thing I've ever seen, If I want to see the baby I'm not going to "schedule" a time."

I told her to leave, that I wasn't waking her up.

Was I rude? Or was she?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is this rude?

• Options
    She was.
  • Options
    She was. However I wouldn't put a note like that on my door because I wouldn't want solicters to know that I was home with my baby and napping. And other mothers and grandmothers should know about the sleep deprivation and respect your time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She was the rude one! If she isn't going to pay attention to your sign, then she needs to at least call before she comes over.
  • Options
    I think she was rude.  The sign said Please!!!
  • Options
    People just show up at your house?  Hell yeah that's rude.  There are no uninvited guests at my house, that just wouldn't fly.  Of course she needs to "schedule" a time.  That's the craziest thing.
  • Options
    She was rude to ignore your wishes. A baby isn't an animal in a zoo; and even they can go out of sight (indoors) to sleep.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options
    You are not rude, actually you may be my HERO!! :) Good for you!
  • Options
    She was, definitely.  She must not remember the sleepless nights with her little ones...you are fully entitled to uninterrupted nap time at this stage!! She can call ahead, IMO.
  • Options
    She was.  I am sorry, that is SO rude.  I would have been super pissed! 
  • Options
    WOW! she was rude
  • Options
    she was rude.  not a thing about your note was rude.  people shouldn't just stop by - even if they are family (IMO)
  • Options
    omg...seriously? She was!
  • Options

OMG!! No you were not beign rude- she was!!

I went to my neighbors to drop off christmas cookies around christmas and they had a sign not to knock or ring doorbell cause their son was napping. I didn't think that was rude at all. i was actually glad cause I would have felt bad if I woke him up! 

Your GM was completely out of line especially considering you have a 3 week old!!! Sleep is like beyond precious at that point!

• Options

Rude on her part.  Tell her for me she needs to start respecting her family, as she respects others.

My mom is a bit like this.  Today, she was suppose to come at 10 for a visit.  She shows up at 11, then they leave at 12:30.  Basically, I wasted my whole morning sitting around waiting for her, so she could drop by for a very short visit.  She would never do that to a friend, but has no problem being disrespectful of my time.

• Options
    yup..she was!
  • Options
    She most definitely was the rude one! I sometimes put a little sign over my doorbell that says "quiet, baby sleeping." She should definitely understand!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I don't really know your relationship. She was rude to bang on your door when it said you were sleeping. I don't think the note was rude, but it was probably rude to tell her to go away (instead of inviting her in to wait until baby woke).

ETA: However, she was uninvited, so that is doubly rude!!

• Options

imagekrismtg:
    She was. However I wouldn't put a note like that on my door because I wouldn't want solicters to know that I was home with my baby and napping. And other mothers and grandmothers should know about the sleep deprivation and respect your time.

You're right. However, we live in the middle of nowhere. In the 2 years we have been here we have never had someone other than family show up at our door....but you're right, maybe I should re-think that.

• Options
    She is very rude. No
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options

She was very rude.  I have to agree with the pp that said this could be dangerous though.  I wouldn't leave a sign, I just wouldn't answer. 

No call= no visit in my book

• Options
    She sounds like my grandmother! I could so see her doing that. SHE was rude, not you. I guess they forget what it's like, you know. Sorry!
  • Options

I'm behind you 10000%! 

I put a note on my door that said "New baby Delilah is looking forward to making new friends, but because she sleeps so much she would like you to call first before coming in, because knocking on the door or ringing the bell could wake her.  THANKS!"

The only person who ignored this was the 8 year old in our neighborhood whose parents don't pay attention to her so she kept banging on my door to "play" with Delilah.  Ugh.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yep, not only was she rude to disregard your notice, she took it a step further and was even more rude when she argued with you after you explained your situation.  Rude all the way around.
  • Options

I guess it depends on the relationship with your Grandma. I would've bent over backwards at the opportunity for my Grandmother to meet and see DD if she were here.

On the other hand a phone call would have been nice. I don't know if I would have gone to the extent of asking her to leave though, again I really think it depends on your relationship. Sorry I hope you can get some rest!

Marissa Marie 9/27/08
    Caleb Wolfgang 12/6/12
    Baby #3 Due Date: ? TBD at ultrasound on 10/30
  • Options
    imageSunny1inTucson:

I don't really know your relationship. She was rude to bang on your door when it said you were sleeping. I don't think the note was rude, but it was probably rude to tell her to go away (instead of inviting her in to wait until baby woke).

ETA: However, she was uninvited, so that is doubly rude!!

We are actually very close, which is why I didn't really think twice about telling her to go away!

• Options
    She was very rude!!
  • Options
    imageJanimal:

The only person who ignored this was the 8 year old in our neighborhood whose parents don't pay attention to her so she kept banging on my door to "play" with Delilah.  Ugh.

Haha, Oh man. I would have sent her back with a note "Please refrain from ignoring you child. When you do that I get blessed with her presence."

• Options
    she was. what she said takes some big balls.
  • Options

she was!  SOOO rude!

However I wouldn't put a note on the door cuz I wouldn't want strangers to know I was sleeping. 

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    SHE totally was!  That angers me for you.  What is it with people thinking they are owed the right to see OUR children whenever they want.  We finally had to have a talk with the IL's after MIL decided that she would stop by the day-care one day w/o checking with us first and then tried to come by our house that same evening to see DD AGAIN!  It is so frustrating.  Angry Don't feel bad, your grandmother was in the wrong on that one.
  • Options
    She was definitely out of line. My grandmother once showed up without calling first and with a friend who was visiting her from Canada on top of it! I was pissed, but at least Sasha wasn't sleeping or anything.
  • Options

She was rude.

I have started just handing baby to visitors and going back to sleep. Hows that for rude ;)

• Options
    No, she was rude.? You are the mom and you make the rules.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Two angel babies 11/09 and 4/10
  • Options

Dude, you even have to ask?

I would have slammed the door in her face.

• Options
    She was unbelievably rude. Regardless of her thoughts on your sign, it's not her place to dictate how you run your day. Really, I would be pretty furious at that kind of disrespectful behavior. Next time, if you're serious about getting naps and want to keep the sign, do not answer the door. Period.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

SHE was rude!  She absolutely should have to schedule to visit YOUR baby!  And if you don't answer the door for an uninvited visit, that is your right.

Sorry, good luck explaining this to grandma.

• Options
    Ugh! I hate it when people just stop by. Our family is awful about this. Except for my parents....They always call first. You definitely were not rude!
  • Options
    She is absolutely being rude... as you know already by the responses .
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    She was.  People should call before they come over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"