Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

She's napping...without her swaddle!!

I've posted on here several times about our issues with the swaddle lately.  She breaks out of her miracle blanket constantly and wakes up crying every time.  I tried to wean her a week or two ago by keeping one arm out- no go.  She flailed it all around and couldn't sleep.  It's been frustrating because I felt like she couldn't sleep without it, but couldn't sleep with it either.  Well we tried again yesterday.  I kept one arm out for her naps all day and she did great!  No problems.  Last night I wimped out and swaddled both arms, but she woke herself up around 3am squirming her way out again.  So I reswaddled her with one arm out and she fell asleep and slept great until about 6:30 when I heard her squirming around.  I watched her on the video monitor and she squirmed her other arm out and once it was out she went right back to sleep!!  She's never done this before, it usually leads to crying almost immediately!   So for her first morning nap I put her in a sleep sack instead of the swaddle, and she's sleeping!  She needed a little more help falling asleep than usual, but she's sleeping without the swaddle :)

Phew, sorry that got long, I'm just really excited about this!!  :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: She's napping...without her swaddle!!

• Options

That's awesome - enjoy it!

Last night was night 3 of DS sleeping with only his legs wrapped... I never thought we'd get there. He is now taking his first arms-out nap, but can't put himself to sleep for naps like he can at night. Isn't it good to know we're making progress!

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know!  I thought it would take forever to get to this, but I guess she's just ready now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is awesome!! I feel like DD will never be ok without it... I know at some point she will but she rubs her face like crazy still and just wakes herself up more. 
  • Options

imagelaur1120:
    That is awesome!! I feel like DD will never be ok without it... I know at some point she will but she rubs her face like crazy still and just wakes herself up more. 

I was also worried because when he broke out of it he'd wake himself up by moving his arms. I thought he had to stay swaddled because as soon as he got free he'd wake himself up and we'd have to recover him. I think it was more that his trying to get free was waking him up. Since he fell asleep "free" he doesn't move as much, or at least it doesn't wake him. I don't know if I'm making sense in explaning it, but my DS doesn't move as much unwrapped as he did when he was wrapped. I randomly tried to leave his arms out to begin with and was shocked it worked. You might want to try it and see.

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• Options
    imageMrs.AMB07:

imagelaur1120:

I was also worried because when he broke out of it he'd wake himself up by moving his arms. I thought he had to stay swaddled because as soon as he got free he'd wake himself up and we'd have to recover him. I think it was more that his trying to get free was waking him up. Since he fell asleep "free" he doesn't move as much, or at least it doesn't wake him. I don't know if I'm making sense in explaning it, but my DS doesn't move as much unwrapped as he did when he was wrapped. I randomly tried to leave his arms out to begin with and was shocked it worked. You might want to try it and see.

I'm interested to see how she does tonight without it (If I stay brave and don't swaddle her tonight!!  I'm kinda scared!).  Usually she squirms all over her crib.  She goes from one end, to the other, will totally turn herself around so that her head is where her feet originally were...she goes all over the place in the swaddle.  Probably trying to get out of it.

• Options
    imagemavs_girl07:
    imageMrs.AMB07:

imagelaur1120:

I'm interested to see how she does tonight without it (If I stay brave and don't swaddle her tonight!!  I'm kinda scared!).  Usually she squirms all over her crib.  She goes from one end, to the other, will totally turn herself around so that her head is where her feet originally were...she goes all over the place in the swaddle.  Probably trying to get out of it.

It's so funny how much they can move around in their sleep when they don't move around a whole lot awake. I would love to watch them do this... too funny!

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"