Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Destination Baptism?

I know this sounds very odd, but does such a thing exist?  Or could it?  My best friend has asked us to be her son's godparents, and since we and her family are spread all over the country, she and I have been trying to figure out when to arrange the ceremony.  She's just finishing grad school, so she's not particularly tied to any (Protestant) church where she lives and will probably end up just having the baptism at her parents' church.  But to simplify travel plans for everyone, we were casually wondering if it's possible to have a "destination" baptism in the same style as destination weddings.

Re: Destination Baptism?

• at our church, we actually have to go through 3 or 4 classes before the baptism... and, part of the baptism is welcoming the child into the church community.

i guess it's probably possible... but i've never heard of it.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Anything is possible! The only thing is that some church's require you to be a member of there to be baptized. I live in NC but I had DD baptized in my church back home in MA. We had to have two over the phone meetings with the Priest so he could talk to us about baptism and the importance of keeping the child involved in the Catholic faith. It was boring and we already knew everything he told us, but it was completely worth it to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess we are having a destination baptism. DH's side of the family is catholic and mine is not. Since his entire family, along with both godparents, live in Ohio, we are having DS baptized in DH's childhood parish up there. We have already contacted the church and made the necessary arrangements for this summer. We are going to a local church to take our classes, and that parish preist will write the church in Ohio and let them know we completed the baptism preparation classes.

The only hiccup you may encounter is that most churches only do the baptism if you are registered there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"