Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Do you keep up with housework?

How?  I was bad about cleaning before, I can't imagine being that productive with a baby.  Do you try to do a little a day?  I need to make myself a realistic cleaning schedule that I can eventually keep up with.  I want to make sure the house is as clean as it can be for the baby.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

Re: Do you keep up with housework?

• As best I can. A sling is great...I can clean, do dishes, etc while he sleeps in it.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • LOL the only thing I try to keep up with is the laundry.  We have a cleaning lady that comes every other week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank God my H does a ton around the house because I am the worst housewife ever right now! I can't seem to keep things clean. BUT, I do try to focus on the kitchen and the bathrooms and then the clutter can wait.....I try to do a little laundry each day, but with a 3 year old AND a 4 week old, it's hard!

Good luck!

• I usually run around about an hour before dh gets home and pick up as much as I can so it looks like i have been busy cleaning all day....Stick out tongue
  • I get zero housework done during the week and have to wait til the weekends so DH can watch DS. I can't exactly take advantage of nap time bc DS will only nap on me SO. I do wish I had cleaned more before DS arrived.
  • Not nearly as much as I used to. Basically I try to keep things presentable, but the deep cleaning just doesn't happen. I also have started a bad habit of letting clean laundry sit around for like a  week before I fold it, lol.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • No, I don't. Sad 

Getting a good carrier will help.  Maybe try to straighten up one room each day, so that no room goes more than a week without a cleaning?  That is what I am trying but I am bad with cleaning too.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • amen to the cleaning lady...I freakout at the sight of dust!  i couldn't do it without her!  Laundry is enough to keep up with right now! 
  • Not very well I'm afraid!  I try and keep things tidy and my DH helps out on the weekends with vacuuming and looking after the kids so I can get some stuff done. 

Can't wait until the cleaning lady my FIL arranged can start.  What a fabulous Christmas present that was!

• imageMrsGMRMartin:
    LOL the only thing I try to keep up with is the laundry.  We have a cleaning lady that comes every other week.

You are so lucky!

I didn't clean before I got pregnant, I worked 60+ hour weeks so DH did all the housework and cooking. I am now a stay at home mom so it has been a huge adjustment. DH still does A LOT of the work though so I am really lucky. I try to keep the kitchen and bedrooms clean and cook dinner everynight. That's about it, and even then that's pretty hard to do. GL!

• Well, I work full time as a teacher and I just have to do a little each day and on the weekends.? Also, my husband helps out.? You have get yourself in a routine and it will all work out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Two angel babies 11/09 and 4/10
  • Once my DS hit about 5 weeks and started sleeping better, when I was on maternity leave I did keep up with housework. Now that I am back to work, I keep up with the big things like vacuuming, dishes, cleaning the bathrooms but cannot keep up with the deep cleaning projects. My SIL said I need to just resign myself of the fact that until he hits about 1 year old, the house will not be clean Crying I feel like the house is trashed right now and it is driving me nuts.

DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • imagerynhales:
    I usually run around about an hour before dh gets home and pick up as much as I can so it looks like i have been busy cleaning all day....Stick out tongue

Ditto this, exactly! LOL - DH calls, says he is on his way home and I go on a cleaning rampage.

• We try to do a little every couple of days. I do the dishes every night after I put DS down. We swiffer/vacuum every couple of days because of the dog hair. We do the bathroom every weekend, but sometimes it just gets a quick cleaning. DH does the laundry every other day or so. Dusting is what I find myself putting off now.

I used to love cleaning the entire house in a few hours and having everything clean at once. Now, we just do what we can when we can.

• I try. I should vaccum more than I do cause of our pets but we just let it build up and then do it.  That may change when DD starts crawling.  i try to at least keep the kitchen clean- that is managable.  Honestly the big cleaning gets done when we have someone coming to visit which for us is pretty often as all our families and close friends are out of town.
  • DH has picked up the slack and actually if it needs to get done he is doing it most of the time. I clean our bathroom, dishes and jsut make sure things are picked up he does the rest. He has really stepped up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't. I've tried all different things but I just can't seem to get it all done. I work from home as well so it's extra hard. We are getting a cleaning lady this week who will come once a week so I will have to keep up with is laundry. We had one for the first 3 months and then moved and I tried to do it on my own. If you can afford one I highly recommend it.
  • For the first 3 months I didn't let it bother me if I didn't clean. Babies grow up much too fast and the cleaning can wait. But here is what I do now, I make a project list. You can even write small projects on pieces of paper and pull them out of a box each day. This way I am not focusing on everything that needs to get done, just focusing on doing that one project. Like today I am finishing the laundry and putting clothes away. If I finish and find I have more time, I am going to clean out bathroom. Those are my two projects for the day! It makes it less overwhelming in my opinion.
  • i clean while ds takes naps. ?his naps are usually about 2 hours long. and i can accomplish laundry while hes awake. ?

but right after he was born i only worried about laundry, i didnt care about stuff laying around. ?i was able to slowly work into cleaning more and more as he started getting older.?

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I try, and try, and try. But I'm never truly "caught up". I just do a little here and a little there when I get the chance. On the rare occasion that I really do feel "caught up", I vow to myself to get a schedule set of what to do when. I maintain it for about 48 hours, and then...back to normal. lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, I try.  A clean house keeps me sane.  When my house is messy, I feel very overwhelmed.  It's gotten messy a few times since DD was born, and it actually made me feel depressed.  Stupid, I know.  I try to just keep the house picked up daily.  I'll spend a few minutes every evening before bed (once DD is asleep) going room to room just picking up the toys, burp cloths, bottles, etc. and straightening everything. 

I alternate every week - I clean all the bathrooms one week and sweep/mop/vacuum the next week.  My house isn't that big, but it's overwhelming to clean all at once for some reason. 

At first there was no way for me to keep up because DD needed me constantly.  So, I enlisted the help of my family while they were there - they had no issues with this.  Don't be afraid to ask for help those first few weeks.

• Agree- I try to keep up with it. I do and switch wash when DS is sleeping, etc.

• imagemaggs116:

imagerynhales:
    I usually run around about an hour before dh gets home and pick up as much as I can so it looks like i have been busy cleaning all day....Stick out tongue

Ditto this, exactly! LOL - DH calls, says he is on his way home and I go on a cleaning rampage.

hahaha, I do this too!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Jess, do what you can...one day at a time.  Baby is first at my house, housework is second.  She will only be little and loved to be held once and she has grown so quickly.  I tend to get most things done when she is sleeping (so much for "sleep when the baby sleeps.") or when my DH or mom is here.  The Ergo baby carrier has come in handy and definitely is a help in getting things accomplished.  Truth be told, I would pick holding her and loving on her to folding laundry any day!
  • I am doing so much better now than before Jack.  I do a little every day.  Laundry is every other day, I dust once or twice a week, the bathroom once or twice.  I am constantly doing dishes and bottles.  By keeping up with it, it really makes it much easier.  I never vacuum, I hate it, DH does it once or twice a week. 

It is strange but I kinda enjoy it!  Plus we get lots of visitors so that really motivates me to clean!

• While on ML, I was Ok about it.  Now that I'm back to work most of my housework, other than the dishes, is done on the weekends.  I hate it b/c I need a clean house to relax, but I'd rather spend time w/ DD. 
  • i just do a little each day. ?but didn't start that routine until C was a month old.
  • I do a little every day.  On the weekends MH and I clean the entire apt together.  It's much faster to do it that way and I don't have to panic about having the house super clean during the week.  I just keep it neat enough that I don't go crazy from looking at messes all day. 
  • I try to do one room a day. Nursery Monday (this includes her laundry), our room Tuesday (my laundry), guest room Wednesday (DH laundry), bathrooms (1.5) Thursday (towels/bathroom laundry), Living room/ Dining room Friday, Kitchen Saturday. I try to do NOTHING on Sunday so that I can just relax, plus I do the "community rooms" at the end of the week so that if we have company I'm not running around trying to clean EVERYTHING. Plus its not too much to clean in one day, only takes 30 minutes or so and since I'm doing it every week, it never gets TOO dirty. HTH!
  • I get the laundry and dishes done but DH does everything else. He cleaned house yesterday. Then again this is nothing different than before DS. I'm very lucky he likes everything clean because he does it :)

• Yes, I do. I have a cleaning crew that comes in bi-weekly to do the entire house and I maintain in between. I do a little each day. As long as your bathrooms and kitchen are clean, it's all that matters.

I also do laundry every day - I have a schedule......it works for me. Otherwise it piles up and I'm overwhelmed. I do laundry M-Th, no laundry on Friday or the weekend.?

But remember, I'm on baby #3, so I've had a while to get this done.?

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • For the first 2wks = No, i didn't do any housework or anything for that matter. My biggest accomplishment every day was taking a shower.

Since then, I try to do the things that have to be done, like washing out baby bottles, doing dishes, and maybe a load of laundry. The rest of the chores have all gone to crap. I can't remember the last time I vacuumed or dusted. DH is doing everything else around the house.  

• imagerynhales:

LOL

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"