Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How to help baby with phlegm?

My poor kiddo's got a pretty bad cold w/cough.  He's obviously got quite a bit of phlegm back in his throat and chest; I can hear it as he breathes and coughs.  We're using a humidifier at night, and I've been using the nasal aspirator w/saline solution several times a day, but there's not a lot of stuff in his nose/nasal cavity anymore.  The issue really seems to be that although his cough is productive, he doesn't know how to spit the stuff out as it comes up.  Is there a way to help him with this?  Can I use a nasal aspirator in his throat after he coughs to try to get the stuff out? 

Thanks for any advice!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to help baby with phlegm?

• Options
    I think I would really call the dr. on this one. Good luck.
  • Options
    DS has had a similar cold/cough and I haven't figured anything out yet either.  But I know what you mean, he coughs it up and I just want to tell him, ok now spit it out!  But obviously he doesn't understand that!  His has gotten a little better everyday, so I'm hoping in a couple days it should be all gone.  I have also wanted to try sucking it out of this throat with a nasal aspirator, maybe I will, I just washed on of them.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't mean to say this to scare you..but just make you aware. Have you had your baby checked out at the dr?  My baby has RSV and the symptoms are exactly like you describe. It's a lot like the common cold but really chesty cough/productive sounding and sometimes when they cough it sounds like they gag a little bit. Also, they don't get a lot of nose mucous either with it.

If you can hear the wheezing and hear it in the chest I would strongly encourage you to call your nurse line if you have one. It's not really safe to let it go especially if you are noticing the wheezing.

You are, however, doing what you can do at home with the humidifier and you can use the saline solution but it won't help with the chest congestion. We are letting our little guy sleep in his carseat at night to help him breathe best and keeping him upright as well throughout the day.

We have our ds on a nebulizer right now for this to help work all the mucous out of his lungs so that he doesn't develop any kind of infection.

I'm sorry if this scares you but rsv is really going around right now and I wouldn't have brought my baby in assuming it was a cold until I called the nurse line and they told me to. It's best to be safe and get it checked out so that they can monitor it.

Good luck and feel better baby.

• Options
    We just went through this the past two weeks.  A few calls to the pedi and they never really wanted to see her since she didn't have a fever.  I finally found three things helped.  1) cool mist humidifier in her room all night.  2) tummy time on the floor, letting her spit up with a towel under her and I just kept moving her to a clean spot and 3) sitting on the floor and putting a towel over on of my legs and on the floor.  I put her in between my legs with her chest on my leg, letting her bounce herself on the floor with her feet and working on her neck, etc and I was patting her back.  So the last two she thought was playtime, but it helped her spit out all of the junk.  She sounds so much better now
  • Options
    Have you tried steaming her in teh bathroom?  I thought that was a lot more productive than using the drops.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"