Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

What did you buy that was a waste of money ?

Things you thougth you needed for baby but could have gone without.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What did you buy that was a waste of money ?

• Options
    diaper geni and wipe warmer...that's all I can think of now. ?I'm sure there were other small things, but to me those 2 were a waste of money.
  • Options
    There are plenty of things we haven't used yet, but I think we could have gone without the swaddleme blankets.  They're nice, but DD likes to have her arms free and sleep with them over her head so they don't work too well for us.  We use them sometimes, but we use the sleepsacks much more often. 
    Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't think of anything right now, but my advice to you is to buy the bare minimum right now and wait to see what your needs are before you get extra stuff. You really don't need much in the beginning and it's not so hard to send DH to the store to get something you realize will be helpful. That's the best way I know of to avoid wasting money.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I bought the bare essentials because I live in a tiny apartment and also didn't want to spend too much...I bought things as I needed them, to avoid having extras...

I think the only thing I never used was the diaper genie, and the mobile that came with my bedding set (it is a neutral color and not very stimulating - I bought a nicer one from Tiny Love later on). ?I say it's important to have diapers, wipes, a place for baby to sleep, car seat, stroller, feeding essentials (don't know if you're FF or BF) and lots of pjs/blankets/swaddler, baby toiletries and meds, burp rags, Boppy, recliner at first then you can always add the toys, bouncer,swing, white noise machine, place to change baby, etc. etc. depending on the temperament of your baby...?

We didn't even use the crib until he was 4 months, actually we never went INTO his nursery until he was that old because he just slept in our room...so you don't have to have everything right in the beginning...?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We received these things as shower gifts so I didn't really spend money on them, but I should have returned some of these things:

receiving blankets - we got so many blankets as gifts and those receiving blankets were pretty much worthless.  They were way too small to swaddle with.

bouncer - my DD does not like that thing.  I thought that it would actually bounce the baby not just be a lame vibrating chair (maybe I'm dense?!).

• Options

Unlike pp, I couldn't live without my swing. She's sitting in it right now falling asleep so that we can go to bed. Also, I use my diaper genie all the time. It works great.

We stuck to bare essentials and there really hasn't been anything I haven't used yet. (except the crib obviously)

• Options

We call our bouncer the "Baby Be Quiet", cause it soothes him so quickly & easily :) 

I'd say ditto the PP on the receiving blankets.  We have piles & stacks of 'em, and if you go by my laundry, I only use 2 or 3 a week.

I will say the swaddle me has been a great investment... but that'll depend on how your child deals with swaddling.

• Options

too many newborn & 0-3 mos clothes.

my DD was 7lbs 14oz but she was out of the newborn clothes by week 2 or 3 :(

• Options
    Store-bought receiving blankets and those small fuzzy baby blankets (they are too small to do anything with), diaper genie, tummy-time mat, cute 0-3 month outfits (the sleepers were just so much easier), bouncy chair, booster seat (got 2 as a gift but already had a high chair), sling (only used it when he was really little, then switched to an Ergo).
  • Options

We are too far away to have had a shower, so luckily, we seemed to get what we actually needed.  DS doesn't love his swaddleme, but it worked to calm him down.  He loves his vibrating chair/bouncer, but not his swing yet.  I think he might be too young for his swing, though.  I didn't buy many newborn outfits at all, and my son weighed 6lbs 6oz, and I had to go buy some sleep & plays because 0-3 mos was still WAY too big (even after being in hospital for two weeks with him!).

• Options
    The $200 I spent on our crib bedding.  the only part of it that we actually use is the crib skirt, and the fitted sheet.  The blanket is hanging on the wall, and the bumper pads were replaced with mesh ones, and we bought extra fitted sheets.  So...big waste of money, and I will never buy another set again!   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Diaper champ and comforter for bedding.
  • Options

The diaper warmer. I would always forgett to add the water and they would dry out. Also by the time I got them to DS they were already cold.

• Options

this is a hard question because every baby is so different!! for example, we didn't get the swaddleme until DS was about 2 months old, and we were so mad we didn't have it the whole time. we LOVED that thing.

however, ditto on the receiving blankets and the bed sets. i do love my bed set, but am sad that the bumper is packed away in the closet.

• Options
    The bedding set - I kind of knew it was a waste, but thought I needed it anyway. It was a mistake, I should have just done the breathable bumper and sheets... I could have had more freedom decorating than sticking to a set and it would have been a lot cheaper.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• Options

Crib bedding was a waste of money for us. All you really need are a couple of sheets.

Really, every baby is different. We couldn't live without our swing and we've used the wipes warmer every day since he was born. I suggest getting the bare necessities and going from there. You'll figure out what you need and don't need after your baby is here.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

Full bedding set. ?It was pricey and we've never used the bumper or quilt. ?We could have just gotten the sheets, and probably the skirt since I like the way it looks. ?Everybody's different though- I saw a couple people mention the Diaper Genie, and wow, I LOVE that thing. ?I'm so glad we got that- to me it's a "must have".

I'd just look for bargains. ?We went on Craigslist for our swing ($30) and Baby Bjorn ($25). ?You can get barely used things on there for dirt cheap, and babies do not need everything brand new!?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Agreed about receiving blankets that are too small for swaddling. I have about 15-20!
  • Options

These answers are hard to go by because every baby is different.  Taylor loves her bouncy and swing, she also loves being swaddled so the swaddle mes were great.  I ended up having to go out and buy more in large because I only registered for 2 in small.  She hasn't used her Halo sleep sacks yet but that's because she still swaddles.  We're in the process of breaking her out of it so she'll probably use them soon. 

Other people mentioned they didn't like the genie or diaper champ.  We love the diaper champ, never any smells (we also put air fresheners inside). 

A couple of months ago, I saw Taylor's head drooping while sleeping in the car.  I then went out and bought these head supports for each side of her head.  I never used them.  So I wasted $10 but that's about it.

Unfortunately, you won't know what will work for your baby until you try it but one thing you definitely don't need (we didn't get one) - wipe warmer.  So not necessary.

• Options
    way too many receiving blankets (the hospital let us take home about 10 of them!), swaddles (dd prefers her hands to be above her hand), hotsling(dd does not like this at all)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"