Cincinnati Babies
Options

would you let your 11 year old go to a firehouse dance?

DD asks every time they have one if she can go and I always say no because I am apparently super lame.

This time she got an invite from her little best friend to go to the dance then have a sleepover.  I really like said BFF and her dad would be taking them to and from.

It's a lock in type deal for 3 hours - and there are firefighters and and police officers there.

The thing that bothers me I think is the age group - it's 4th to 8th graders.  DD is only a 5th grader... I worry about the older kids.  DH tried to make me feel better by pointing out that it's not likely that any of the older kids pay any attention to the younger ones.

That being said - DD is pretty mature, very smart, and doesn't ever get in any kind of trouble - so I feel like I can trust her... just not the other kids :)

I dunno... what would you do?

Re: would you let your 11 year old go to a firehouse dance?

• Options

I've never heard of a dance like this so I'm not really sure what the atmosphere would be like, but I think I would let her go. If it's for 4th-8th graders your DD probably wouldn't even be one of the youngest ones there. I think I would have LOVED something like that when I was in 5th grade!

• Options
    I think I would let her go.  You said she's a good kid and you trust her and it sounds like there will be plenty of supervision.  I think she'd have fun!
    imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it sounds pretty safe, I am sure she would have fun too. Big Smile
  • Options
    It sounds like it would be totally fine. ?You can't get any safer supervision than cops and firemen, lol. ?Plus she'd be there with a friend so I think she'd be fine. ?And like your DH said the older kids probably won't pay too much attention to the younger ones.?
  • Options
    I would probably say yes - sounds like it will be a safe environment with adults there.  I used to go to sports "lock-ins" all the time when I was a kid and it was all different ages and I don't remember hanging with anyone else than my group of friends and other kids our age.
  • Options

Probably not. The firehouse near us has these all the time, and I think it's a little strange. Maybe it's just because I had never heard of having dances for such young age groups before. Fourth grade? What 9 yo goes to a dance?

DH probably would let her, if it were up to him.

I'm gonna be such a mean mom.

• Options
    imagejgeiman:

Probably not. The firehouse near us has these all the time, and I think it's a little strange. Maybe it's just because I had never heard of having dances for such young age groups before. Fourth grade? What 9 yo goes to a dance?

DH probably would let her, if it were up to him.

I'm gonna be such a mean mom.

LOL... apparently I'm a mean mom too - don't worry :)

I think the point of the dances (besides to raise money) is exactly that - so the young kids can have something social to do.  You know - since generally it's the highschool kids who have all the dances.

• Options
    If your talking about the one in Independence I would say yes!  My sitter and her husband are there and he is a firefighter.  They are very good dances and the kids have fun!
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Options

Also, the point of the dances is to raise money for the firehouse to get gear and everything and to give the kids a safe and fun evening!  They sound like fun to me :-)

• Options

imagecat81305:
    If your talking about the one in Independence I would say yes!  My sitter and her husband are there and he is a firefighter.  They are very good dances and the kids have fun!

That's the one :)

Thanks for replying Cat - it makes me feel good to know that someone actually knows about them and thinks it's a good idea!  And it's cool to hear your sitter's husband is a firefighter!

We did decide to let her go.  Man this letting her grow up stuff is hard!!

Hannah

• Options
    LOL!  She will be safe and have a blast!  My sitter and her husband rave about them all the time.  They have never had any problems from what I am told.  I am soo glad you let her go.  I know I will have a hard time with the letting them grow up to so you are not alone, LOL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"