Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Independent playtime

What do you do to encourage LO to play alone? My DS plays on the activity mat by himself for a short period, but he is now becoming so dependent on my?presence and wanting to be held. A lot. It's really making it difficult for me to get anything done. What if he was in daycare? What would he be doing there all day long??

Ugh. I love the little guy, and I want to play with him - just not every second. Any advice?

TIA!?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Independent playtime

• Options
    ALL KIDS LOVE TO BE HELD BY THEIR MOMMIES, MY SON HAS A HARD TIME PLAYING BY HISSELF, SO WHAT I DO IS WHATEVER ROOM IM IN, I BRING A FEW TOYS ALONG SO HE CAN PLAY, THAT USUALLY WORKS
  • Options
    i've been reading up a lot of separation anxiety b/c my DD is going through it a little bit.  anyway, they say to start in small time increments.  go into another room (or do whatever you need to do - clean, laundry, etc) for 5 minutes.  if he starts fussing after 3 minutes, let him fuss for the remaining 2 minutes, then check on him.  eventually, spread that time out and he should start to learn that you're coming back or that he doesn't NEED you at every single moment.  good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I give her a toy and then do an activity in the same room she's in.  For example, I'll fold clothes in the bedroom while she's playing with a toy.  She can see me, but I'm not jiggling it for her or holding her.  If she starts to fuss, I say something like "mama's right here" and tell her she's doing a great job.  She's comforted by my voice and presence.  So far so good.

Also, when she wakes up, I don't rush in.  I let her have time to play in her crib and entertain herself.  She can do this for about 15-20 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"