Northern California Babies

Post your non-traditional wedding songs

I'm helping a friend plan her wedding and she's picking my brain for some non-traditional wedding songs.  Both for the ceremony and reception/first dance.

TIA

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Post your non-traditional wedding songs

• Fun!  Ours was "I Love My Wife," a very obscure and tongue-in-cheek song.  I saw it on YouTube a while back set to video from the L Word.  Nice thing about this song is that it's short - a little over a minute, and you don't want the first dance to be too long.

https://tinyurl.com/aen8lo

• Our recessional song was "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang.
  • Loading the player...
  • I remembered one more, the last song at the reception was "Last Dance" by Donna Summer.
  • Enya song for when I was walking down the aisle, after we were married

Its a beautiful day by u2 !

• I was a bridesmaid in a wedding last year, and she walked down the aisle to the song from Forrest Gump.. the feather song. It was wonderful!
  • For our ceremony we were really non-traditional.

For the girls walk we played Brickhouse,

for my walk we played "Isn't she lovely", I wanted to do the Miss America song but I thought that was a bit much.Wink

and for our recessional walk we played Nickelback's Far away.

Our reception music was, Sinatra and such for during drinks and dinner, and then our first dance was to Kenny Chesney Me and You.

• Our recessional song was "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher.

First dance was "That's How Strong my Love is" by Otis Redding, not sure how un-traditional that was.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used "Forever" by Ben Harper for our first dance song. Father/daughter dance was to "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" by Judy Collins. My dad and I also did a swing dance to "You're the Top" (Anita O'Day version).

Another really sweet, non-traditional song is "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFS69nA-1w

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Walking in we played "Unchained Melodys"

Walking out "Nothings gonna stop us now" by Starship.  Just like in the movie Mannequin.  One of my favorites.

• My friend's entrance was At Last, I thought it was really cute.

Our first dance was "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5.

• Our first dance was: Everything by Lifehouse

Our last dance was: Bad Things by Jace Everett

I had a video collage play when people were being seated for the ceremony and during that I chose 3 songs: Belle by Jack Johnson, But for Now by Jamie Cullum, and Come Away with me by Nora Jones

I went for light jazzy songs for pre-ceremony.

I had a harpist and flutests playing my actual walk down the isle.  And a pianist for the hymn during the ceremony:

Processional: Prelude in C

Entrance: Cannon in D

Hymn: When Love is Found (UMC Hymnal page 643, 1,2,5)

Recessional: Trumpet Tune

I worked with my musicians to find music I loved...not all are typical of weddings.

Intro to reception: Happy Together by the Turtles

Cake Cutting: Think We're Alone Now by Tommy James and the Shondells

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Our recessional song was - Celebration by Kool and The Gang

Our Reception entrance song was - Staying Alive by the Bee Gee's

Our First Dance was - Just The Way You Are Billy Joel

• Our cake cutting song was "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leopard.

• Pre ceremony, we had some instrumental stuff.  One of them was Apocolyptica (sp?).  It's 4 chellos that play Metallica.  We chose the "lightest" sounding rendition on the album, but don't remember which song it was.

After we said our vows, and marched as Hubs and Wife down the aisle to, "The Love" Sammy Hagar & the Waboritas.

Reception there were a couple of snafus.  Bridal Party was supposed to walk in to the Benny Hill ending Credit music.

Our first dance was traditional - At Last, Etta James

I had two fathers dances & I'm totally drawing a blank here.

DH & his Mom danced to "Simple Man" as sung by Shine Down

Our last song was supposed to be a South Park parody.  Cartman sings, Sail Away by the Stix.  We thought it was a hilarious way to end the night -especially since we had found a web site to "South Park" our bridal party & had displayed the cartoons at the rehearsal.  Our DJ couldn't find that song by artist Eric Cartman and went with the original.  He said that he should have called us to check, but never did.  Turns out he wasn't a South Park fan.  DH & I found the mistake hillarious and couldn't stop laughing when some of our guests broke out lighters for us.  LOL!

• We processed to Matchmaker from Fiddler on the Roof

We recessed to When I'm 64 from the Beatles

Our first dance was Somewhere over the Rainbow by Iz (I can't spell the rest)

Our last dance was Its the End of the World (as we know it) by REM 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We used all Beatles for the ceremony and reception "events"

Procession: Two of Us

My Processional: I Will

Recessional: Oh Blah Di Oh Blah Da

First Dance: In My Life

Parents Dance: Golden Slumbers

Last Dance: Sgt. Pepper's/Dizzy Miss Lizzy

• Our first dance song (which is "our" song) was Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye  Big Smile

My MIL loved our song selection...HAHAHAHAA

Our entrance song at the reception was Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry

Now I've got that song in my head ...

play that funky music white boy!

play that funky music right!

play that funky music white boy, lay down and boogie and play that funky music till you die.....

• Cocktail Hour: Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Etta James ect.

Reception Entrance: "Cops" Theme Song - (DH is a cop and we thought it was hysterical)

First Dance:  I Cross My Heart by George Strait

Cake Cutting:  Theme from "Mission Impossible"

• Cocktail Hour: Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Etta James ect.

Reception Entrance: "Cops" Theme Song - (DH is a cop and we thought it was hysterical)

First Dance:  I Cross My Heart by George Strait

Cake Cutting:  Theme from "Mission Impossible"

Garter Toss: Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue

• i didnt have a wedding , but will be planning a huge celbration on our 7 year anniversry. THe song playing will be I Love the way you move, by OutKAst
  • Now that I have pulled my head from my rear...

My Birthfather & I danced to - In My Daughters Eyes, Martina McBride.  Lyrics

My Stepfather & I danced to - There You'll Be, Faith Hill.  Lyrics

Both were songs from me to them.

• imageZoeMay06:

We used "Forever" by Ben Harper for our first dance song. Father/daughter dance was to "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" by Judy Collins. My dad and I also did a swing dance to "You're the Top" (Anita O'Day version).

Another really sweet, non-traditional song is "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFS69nA-1w

AWWW! We almost did our 1st dance to Forever. We ended up going with Happily Ever After In Your eyes by Ben. I love him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think we qualify.

For the processional S and I recorded our friends doing reads on some quotes about love and marriage (in leui of actual readings during the ceremony) and had them overlayed to 'Angelica Suspended' by Plam Fabric Orchestra.

I walked down the aisle to a traditional Bulgarian folklore song. It was my tribute to my culture and the mult-ethnic element of our marriage and life together.

We had our first dance to "It's been a long, long time" by Harry James.

• imageZeener:
    imageZoeMay06:

We used "Forever" by Ben Harper for our first dance song. Father/daughter dance was to "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" by Judy Collins. My dad and I also did a swing dance to "You're the Top" (Anita O'Day version).

AWWW! We almost did our 1st dance to Forever. We ended up going with Happily Ever After In Your eyes by Ben. I love him.

Yet more proof that you're super cool!

• Our only non-traditional song was our reception entrance, which was the Peanuts theme. Our ceremony was a formal Catholic mass so no wiggle room for being non-traditional :(
    Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • I used mainly music from movie soundtracks:

Mothers entrance: Princess Bride Themesong

Bridesmaid entrance: "Salut d'amour" by Elgar

Bride entrance: "Beginning of a Partnership" from Shakespeare in Love

Exit: "Curtain Call" from Shakespeare in Love

First Dance: "La Habanera" from DonJuan DeMarco soundtrack (it is completely instrumental)

• first dance was "today" by the smashing pumpkins.  everyone oohd and ahhd until they heard the chorus.

we also had "somewhere over the rainbow" iz version.

oh and "i want to grow old with you" by adam sandler from the wedding singer.

• imageluojjang:
    I was a bridesmaid in a wedding last year, and she walked down the aisle to the song from Forrest Gump.. the feather song. It was wonderful!

We did the same song.  The priest looked at my DH and asked "Forrest Gump?"  Everyone liked it though :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I walked down the aisle to an instrumental "Pure Imagination" from the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, played by our string trio.

Got the idea from a magazine...I didn't want the traditional wedding march.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"