Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Oatmeal for the first solid?

Did you feed oatmeal for their LOs first solid? 

Did your LO get constipated?

Is rice better nutritionally then oatmeal?

I am planning on starting with oatmeal because I've heard that it has less chance to create constipation.  I'm just curious to hear other situations.

Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.- Art Buchwald Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Oatmeal for the first solid?

• Options
    We started with rice...and he got constipated.  I have yet to try oatmeal...
  • Options

we started with rice b/c that is what the pedi recommended; we introduced oatmeal about three weeks ago, and rice we tried around 5 mos.  both caused constipation.  we are now onto oatmeal only because he likes it a lot better than rice.  my understanding of why pedis rec. rice over oatmeal is that it is easier to digest and rarely triggers allergic reactions.

i am pretty sure that of the two, oatmeal is better nutritionally (fiber).  if you buy them boxed for baby, both have vitamins added.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we skip rice cereals and started with oatmeal, but my dd is constipated so we are switching to barley.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

With my older daughter, we started with oatmeal since every other baby I know got constipated when they started with rice. So, we started with oatmeal and it worked out well. Now she is 2 1/2 and eats anything and everything including lots of fruits and veggies!

?I will skip rice again and start with oatmeal with my 3 month old when she starts eating solids.?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"