Multiples
Options

if you were put on bedrest because of a shortened cervix

at what length was it?  I am already on modified bedrest but up until this morning, my cervix has been over 3.5cm.  This morning when I went for the growth scan, my cervix measured about 2.4cm.  I go back to see the OB at 2:30 today and I am wondering if they are going to put me at strict bedrest because of the length.  What was your experience?

Re: if you were put on bedrest because of a shortened cervix

• Options

No experience as mine as always been around 3.5 as well.   I go in for a growth scan on friday and I'm very nervous that mine has shortened as well.  Even if they dont' put you on bedrest, I would put myself on house arrest just to be on the safeside but I really don't think 2.4 at 29 weeks is all that bad.  I have heard everyone' cervix shortens in the 3rd trimester no matter how many you are carrying.  

That being said, I know I'm gong to freak out if mine has shortened signigficantly.  I would just take it really easy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I was put on "house arrest" for a cervix of 1.8.  I could still walk around, but just no housework etc.  I think your OB is concerned not so much of the length, but rather the change.  Goodluck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't remember the exact length of mine - I think it was a little over 2 when I was put on hospital bedrest. BUT, my cervix had also funneled which is different then shortening. Sorry I can't really help.
  • Options

My cervix went from 3.3 or 3.5 (can't remember which) to 2.0 in two weeks.  It was also funneling.  I was closed at the appt. they sent me to L&D to monitor and within 3 hours I was beginning to dilate.  It was strict bedrest for me at that point.

I was 28 weeks and my water broke at 34.

Good luck

• Options

I was put on strict bedrest when my cervix went from 4.8 to 2.3 in a week and a half.  That was at 25 weeks and I was on bedrest until I delivered at 35 weeks 6 days.  And I never went into labor.  I delivered because I was developing pre-e.

I would guess that you're going to end up on bedrest.  I'm sorry.  But you want to keep those babies in there!

• Options
    i was put on bed rest at 28 weeks for a shortening cervix.  It was always nice and long and then it hit 2.4....then fluctuated around from 1.8-2.2 for the remainder of my pregnancy. They gave me a pessary to help control it.
    Laura, mommy to Emma & Izabel

(5 year old twin girls)

image www.sugarandspicephotos.com

• Options
    Thanks ladies.  I guess we will see what happens at the appointment at 2:30.  The ultrasound tech seemed concerned because she was trying to find me an OB who had an opening right away, so who knows.  At 26 weeks, I was put on modified bedrest because while the cervix was still long and closed, it had started to thin out.  Less than 2 weeks ago, it was closed and 3.5cm long so maybe the tech was concerned about the rapid change. 
  • Options
    I wasn't even put on bedrest when my was at 1.7!  My MFM doctor said there is no research that shows that bedrest helps with cervical shortening.  He said in theory you would think it would work with keeping pressure off of the cervix but he said really it just makes people feel like they are doing the right thing.  That being said, my cervix was at 1.7 on November 11th and I delivered my girls (at 30w1d) on January 27th.  From week 25 on I was 4cm dilated, spent 25 days in the hospital and then 12 back at home before having to deliver.  Everyone is different.
  • Options

My cervix went from a 4.0 to 1.8 in three weeks.  I went on strict bedrest (mostly at home) at 23w6d and stayed there for 9 weeks until I delivered.  It pretty much stayed at 1.8 until around 32 weeks when it dropped down to 1.0 -- I delievered 6 days later.

Good luck!

• Options
    My peri told me that the standard was to put someone on bedrest at 2.5. I went from 3.4 to 0 (yep, zero) overnight. I was 100% effaced in a matter of less than 24 hours. I never really challenged the rule.. I stayed in the hospital on bedrest (shower/bathroom privliges only) for 4 weeks till I delivered at 32 weeks 2 days.
  • Options
    Mine shortened suddenly to 1.5 cm at 23w. ?It was over 3 cm at the previous week's appointment. ?I was immediately put on bedrest in the hospital & some mild precautionary meds (ibuprofen & later also procardia) to keep my uterus calm, even though I wasn't having contractions. ?I was taken off of meds & sent home on bedrest at 34w. ?I was completely effaced & a few cm dilated by this point. ?Ultimately, I was induced (oh the irony) due to elevated bp & delivered at 35w6d. ?Bedrest can be very effective! ?Good luck!
  • Options
    i don't know what mine was to start, but at 26 weeks it measured ZERO. i was on hosptial bedrest for 2 weeks, home for one and had the girls at 29 weeks. you can read more on my blog. look for entries around mid-late august.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"