Infertility

Sperm Test

Does anyone know how much a Sperm Test is (no medical insurance)....also is there any over the counter test for Sperm?

Re: Sperm Test

• I was quoted at $100.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No--no OTC test for sperm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Walgreens carries a test, but I don't know how much stock I would put in it.  Here is the link if you want to check it out:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100702&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku385426&id=prod385425

• While you can get an over the counter sperm test, I think that is a test to leave to the professionals, since there is no way to test morphology with the OTC one. The semen analysis is typically between $100-$200.
  • Our's were $158 each (2 were ordered) and they showed extremely low morph, which meant we had to go straight to IVF w/ ICSI. ?It was the best $316 we spent in this entire thing because it prevented us from wasting time and more money with other procedures or meds that probably wouldn't have worked. ?We did them by choice after being told by my OB/Gyn that my husband was probably fine, so I highly recommend them if you're having trouble.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We tried an over-the-counter test before we went to an RE just to give us some piece of mind, and they are jokes.  The first one came up as inconclusive, and the second one showed no result altogether.  Plus, the OTC's only give you a pass or fail, and i think it's based on a count or no count.  Spend the money and get a real test.  Besides, they tell you about motility, morphology, as well as count and quality.
  • Definitely get a real one done. In our case, on the first one, count was lowish, and motility and morph were terrible. The second, count was much better, motility was much better too (but still lowish) and morph still sucked. Straight to IVF for us. I wish we'd had it done earlier so we wouldn't have wasted time.

We're OOP and they only cost us 100. 

imageimage

• My lab slip shows a cost of $150 OOP for an SA.  We had it done with my previous doctor and insurance covered it, so I think we paid $6 OOP.  I agree that it is worth it to spend the extra money.
  • $100 for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"