Parenting

I thought not smoking would be easier...

I quit cold turkey cigs and coffee when I found out I was pregnant and didn't smoke until I was done breastfeeding and then slowly kept it up due to stress/boredom, ect.  When with family I can go for a couple weeks without wanting one no problem.  But once we're on our own turf I want one.

I had nose surgery last Wed (they did a pressure break to fix a previous break and trimmed the turbanites (sp) this time and I feel fine - I've barely had to take any pain meds and barely even bled.

I smoked up until my surgery and I was told 2/3 weeks recovery of no smoking though I feel like I smoked after the first week occasionly with the first surgery...not a subject I'm even bringing up with the doc.  I bought smokes on Thursday and didn't want them, so they're still unopened in my purse.  I am going back and forth in my head like a crazy person.  One second I'm so happy and proud of my self that I've been without a cig for almost 12 days (and no coffee - also no headaches or bad withdrawal symptoms) and that it's nice to be a non smoker...two seconds later I can't wait to go have a smoke and then I realize I'm not smoking and it's really bothering me.   I want to just smoke one and see if I really want it or not...but then I feel like a failure for giving in...

A friend of mine quit years ago and he said he just kept himself busy and would let himself have one occasionly when he felt he "needed" one and then when he drank.  Now he very rarely does that even. 

I'm always the designated driver so I never get to party anymore...smoking's the only bad thing I get to do, so I think that's why I'm holding on to it so badly.  I'm the girl at the party or dinner drinking water b/c I have a zero tolerance policy on drinking and driving...I don't like being that "good" girl...

Any positive advice? I already know it's a discusting habit and that I should quit already...

Re: I thought not smoking would be easier...

• Ex-smoker here but really don't crave them anymore unless I'm super drunk.  I wish you luck.  And, I had nose surgery too 2 weeks ago and it still hurts.  When does it get better?
  • Ok, first, why on earth did you go back after you had your son and quit bf'ing ;)?  I quit when I found out I was pregnant with DD.  Since I've had DD, I have probably smoked maybe 3 times and that was when I went out with friends.  Don't get me wrong, I still have cravings at times, but I just want start back.  It really is a hard habit to break, but just keep with it!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My first nose surgery was with the septum and I was miserable for at least two weeks and didn't feel better until a month later...this surgery was much less invasive and I barely even had to take my pain killers...

As for starting smoking again after quitting...I was overwhelmed with the kid, my DH smokes, maj of my friends smoke, and as I said before it's the only "bad" thing I get to do.  I don't even get to enjoy a glass of wine b/c I have to drive myself home and when at home I don't enjoy drinking by myself - DH never drinks at home unless we have company which is rare.  We also live in the middle of nowhere suberbia so noone likes to come to our house very often b/c of the driving thing.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"