Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Maternity Leave ??

My 4 weeks of paid maternity leave is up soon and I want to extend it by 2 more weeks to spend more time with my DS.  I can either extend my leave without getting paid or I can ask my doctor for a note to extend my leave.  My OB won't provide me with one since I healed without any complications, so my only hope is to get a Dr's note is from my DS's pedi.  I'm not sure if DS's pedi will provide one for me since one of my main reasons for wanting to extend is because of wanting to form a stronger bond between DS and I and to continue breastfeeding. 

1)  How long was your PAID maternity leave?

2)  If you extended, did you have to go without pay?

3)  How likely do you think it is that DS's pedi will provide me a note. **Apologies in advance if question #3 is a silly question, I'm just trying to see what are the chances of me getting more time with my DS so I can prepare myself for the inevitable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maternity Leave ??

• I had paid STD for 6 weeks. I went back after that.

• I got 6 wks of only 60% paid.  Anymore then that would have been unpaid. 
    Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.- Art Buchwald Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you work at a small company (or have only been there less than a year) and don't get FMLA?  Otherwise you should be guaranteed 12 weeks (not guaranteed pay).  My leave will be 14 weeks (lucky that christmas break fell in there and didn't count toward my 12 weeks of FMLA - I'm a teacher)

1. paid for all my accured sick leave - like 8-9 weeks I believe

2. yes, the last 5 weeks or so will be without pay

3. I have no idea, but I'd imagine they don't do notes like that . . .but good luck!

• I had 3 weeks paid, 2 weeks vacation & I took 1 week unpaid.
    I didnt want to go back either, but I also didnt save to take more.

No ideas for getting a note. Sorry.

• I got 8 weeks paid, 2 weeks at 100% the other 6 at 66%. I extended  my leave for 2 more weeks unpaid. I could have extended for more unpaid leave so long as I obtained manager approval.

I don't think it's likely DS' pedi will write a note. 

• I am VERY lucky and get 50 weeks at 55% of my pay.
  • 1) I was paid for 6 weeks.

2) I stayed out an additional 6 weeks without pay.

I've never heard of a pediatrian providing a note authorizing or suggesting that mom extend maternity leave. Good Luck.

• 1.  I got 6 weeks paid, the first week was my own vacation.  So it turned out to be 3 weeks at 100% then 3 weeks 60%

2.  If I wanted, I could take up to 12 weeks, last 6 would be unpaid

3.  I have no clue, I doubt the pedi would b/c he's not YOUR dr., he's your LO's dr., so technically, he probably isn't really allowed

• 1. 8 weeks - 1 week of sick pay and 7 of disability. (Would have been 5 and 1 if I hadn't had a c-section).

2. I extended with 3 1/2 weeks of paid vacation (I've been banking it forever, still have a ton left)

3. I don't know that a note from a pedi would carry any weight. Are you trying to get another 2 weeks paid or just off? If your company isn't bound by FMLA, I would hope they'd still at least let you have 6 weeks off. Most daycares won't even take a baby younger than that.

• 1. I had STD for 6 weeks and two weeks of my own banked vacation time.

2. Two weeks without pay

3. I doubt it. And to me, it seems like you are putting your DS's pedi in a precarious position by even asking him for the note.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • 1. Paid for 12 weeks but not at 100%. Im in CA so my company doesn't pay it - I had to do disability and then paid FMLA (6 weeks each).

2. I didnt extend.

3. I doubt the pedi will approve this. I accidentally sent a form such as this to the pedi (without realizing what it was) and he called to say he couldnt do this.

• Not sure if this helps but our pedi just signed an FMLA form for DH to stay home for 6 weeks with DD for "bonding."  Pedi had no reservations about signing the form. 
  • 1) No paid maternity leave. Had 7 days PTO.

2) All told, I went 6 weeks without pay, then started back PT for another 6 weeks.

3) Not likely.

BTW - I was told by HR that FMLA allows me to take 12 weeks off, unpaid, regardless of the situation. Talk to your HR person. You may be able to extend it without a doctor's note.
  • My LO has really bad reflux problems and have to go back to work in 4 weeks. I got 12 weeks off. I wanted to get my disability extended too but wasn't able to. My mom suggested that I talk to my pediatrician to see if I could get a doctor's note too. I know everyone is saying they doubt you could get a note but it won't hurt to ask. I have heard about OB's extending disability just to develop breastfeeding with their LO's. Too bad yours didn't.
  • 1) I was taken out of work 2 weeks early due to high BP, so after 1 week of a "waiting period" my STD kicked in.  I had a vaginal delivery so this allows me to take 6 weeks from when DD was born....so total of 7 weeks paid, but only at 70%.  (In New York, STD is about 55% but you can pay an extra $1.00 a week and up that percentage by about 10%, totally worth it)

2) I'm going to extend my leave by a week and 1/2.  DD can't go to daycare without her shots and my pedi's office won't start shots until 7 weeks at the earliest...so I'll stay home with her for an extra week 1/2 once she gets her shots.  It will be un-paid, but it's part of FMLA time.  FMLA is 12 weeks, unpaid however.  So 8 weeks during maternity leave (2 weeks before having DD and 6 weeks after she was born) and I'll tack on another week and 1/2 to that, so 9 1/2 weeks....I still have another 2 1/2 weeks to take....this has to be used by DD's 1st birthday or you lose it.  (it's un-paid but does protect your job @ work and give you time off if need be at anytime during your childs first year)

3) I think it's highly unlikely your DS's pedi will write the note, sorry!  I was given specific instructions by my HR dept. that it has to be my OB that writes the note extending my leave, or another Dr. if I have complications, PPD, etc..... not my childs Dr.  Can you explain how much you really want this bonding time with your DS to your OB?  I'm going to try my hardest to explain this to my OB when I go to my PP appt. @ 6 weeks so that last week and 1/2 I take MIGHT get paid partially by STD.  GOOD LUCK!!!!

Chad and Emily - 10/28/06 Abigail Suzanne - 1/6/09 Corbin David - 11/6/12
  • I get 8 weeks paid since I had a c-section.  Then I am going on unpaid through June since DS is a preemie.  Good luck!
  • I got 9 weeks paid. I actually could have gotten 10 but I didn't know that my company pays up to 2 weeks before your due date to prepare for the baby and rest. So I only got one week of that had then the 8 for the c/s. I am saving my vacation time for real vacations and for random days home with DS.
  • I was out a total of 12 weeks.  1 week prior to delivery (paid) and 8 weeks after of state disability plus I used 3 weeks of paid family leave.  My work used my sick and vacation time to make up the difference between what disability pays and my whole salary so I was paid in full the entire time I was out.  I still have 3 weeks of paid family leave i can use at some time between now and DD's first birthday.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"