WWYD? DH might get laid off — The Bump
Stay at Home Moms

WWYD? DH might get laid off

I have not put in my formal resignation from my job, (due 3/23, but want to stop work at 3/1) and we just found out that there will be layoffs the week we are due. Actually the LOs started in Jan, and will happen every 4 weeks until the company decides to stop. His boss told him that he's fine until March, then DH is at risk for getting LO'd, but we won't know until it happens.

I was going to be a SAHM after baby comes, but I'm wondering if I should just go on maternity leave instead and have them hold my job. I would be gone 12 weeks for FMLA, no paid leave. I work for a church, and I feel guilty holding a job that I don't even know if I'll come back for. I would like to have the security that we will have some income if DH gets laid off, although times would be tough on my salary alone.

Would you go ahead and resign and leave or would you just put in for maternity leave? I would like some opinions on this!!

Charlotte Elizabeth - March 15, 2009
Natalie Kate - October 4, 2011
Blighted ovum, d&c at 9w, July 2012
Blighted ovum, d&c at 10w, September 2013
BFP May 28, EDD February 4, 2015

Re: WWYD? DH might get laid off

  • In this economy, err on the side of caution and put in for maternity leave. Hopefully all will be well and you can still be a SAHM, but you do not want the extra stress of both being out of work with a newborn.

    Henry 4.23.2007 Elliot 3.30.2012


    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  • I'd go back to work.  "you're fine until March" isn't insurance enough for me.  I'd even go back until I knew dh was safe - this is not a time for 2 parents to be out of a job.
  • I'd put in for mat leave if I were you.  You have to look out for #1.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I would not resign until I knew MH's job was safe.  The 12 weeks you are on mat leave is a long time, you never know what could happen.
  • I would put in for the maternity leave and not resign until you know your husband's job is safe.  That way if he does get laid off you would have his unemployment income and your income to keep you afloat.
  • I would put in for maternity leave and see how it goes from there. You can always change your mind and not go back to work if DH's job is safe. I wouldn't be too worried about feeling guilty if you end up changing your mind... you need to do what is best for your family... especially with the economy like it is.

    Also... congrats on your baby! I hope things work out so you are able to stay home like you want :)

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would go on mat leave, just to be on the safe side. I hope everything turns out just fine. Congrats on the baby!
  • i would go on maternity if i were you... wait a minute.. my husband just got laid off and I am on maternity leave! The situation sucks, I know how you feel. But hopefully things will get better for the both of us. Perfect timing with a new baby on the way, huh? :-(
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would put in for maternity leave. I understand why you would want to be totally upfront with your employer. Like a pp said though, in this economy you do not want to have two parents out of a job! Another thing to think about - I'm sure they would have absolutely zero trouble filling your position if need be. They'd probably be overloaded with applicants, to be honest.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • definetly maternity leave. You never know what could happen and its best to have the option of going back.
    Baby #3 on its way!BabyFruit Ticker
  • We were in the same place. I went on maternity leave. Then I went ahead and quit at the end of my leave because DH still had a job and he got laid off about a week later. :( Anyway, I was glad that I had gone on mat leave because at least my insurance was paid during that time and we still had that money in the bank when DH did get laid off instead of having paid it out in insurance for those months. IMO there is nothing dishonest or wrong about it. You honestly don't know if you want to come back or not, so there is no reason to quit your job before you are sure. I had talked to our HR person about the fact that I wasn't sure what I was going to do because I wanted to know if I had to come back for any amount of time in order to collect my short term disability benefits and she said that it is very, very common for women to go on mat leave and not know if they want to come back or not. Some women think they want to SAH and then discover they would rather work and some women think they want to go back but decide they prefer to SAH!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

  • I tend to be a bit of a control freak and I hate feeling like I have zero control over my situation so, just to be on the safe side, I personally would take my maternity leave with my job safely awaiting my return until I knew my DH wasn't being laid off.

    Maybe after you are certain your DH will keep his job you could let the church know asap that you aren't coming back at the end of your leave... just to give them ample notice?!?!  Maybe even offer to help train a replacement or come in for a few hours here and there after your maternity leave is up in order to help them stay caught up?!?!?  

    Very best of luck and welcome to this board!!!  :)

    eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

  • I would go on maternity leave.  Atleast it keeps your options open. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards