Kat

You and Josh did a trip to DC a while ago, no?  Can

you remind me of stuff like where you stayed and what

you thought of it?  Mike and I are looking to go in 

March, and we're looking for suggestions from people

who've been there recently.  Thank you!

Mother's Day, 2011

Re: Kat

• OMG we had the best time!  We went for a pre-christmas trip in 2006.  We flew in on a Friday night and left Sunday morning, so we really only spent Saturday in DC doing tourist stuff.

We actually pricelined for our hotel, and I believe we got it for either $99 or $149 a night.  It was on 16th street, just three blocks up from the White House.  Take that back - I think it was on 15th Street, three blocks up and one block over.  I believe it was The Madison

My unsolicited advice is this, put the trip off until December.  DC was the most amazing travel spot then, because who the heck goes to DC in December?  It was gorgeous, there were no lines for anything and travel rates were rock bottom.

What we did was focused around it being the holiday season.   First stop was the White House, then everything around the Mall.  Walked up to Congress and the Supreme Court, then to Union Station and had lunch.  Took the train to the neighborhood where the National Cathedral is and elected to walk there (really long walk, shoulda taken the bus.)  We saw the Joy of Christmas there - ah-feaking-mazing. If they have a program while you are there, you must check it out.  Schedule here

OMG - if you go in March - I'll be pissed if you miss the "Lilacs" concert they have on the first page!

Dinner that night was fab - 2 Amys It was rec'd to me off the DC board and really seemed to be a DC spot, not a tourist spot.  It's in the 'hood where the Cathedral is, so I think that tends to keep it more local.  Fab, fab, fab and delish food.  Crowded and a little pricey, but worth it.

Then we came home!

And proof of how deserted DC is during Christmas

A picture of Lincoln with no crowds!

All our pics are here, if you are interested

• Butting in - T.J. was there for work for like 6 months, so I spent quite a bit of time up there.  My sister and I also did a trip there in summer a few years ago.  For the trip w/ her, we used hotwire and stayed at the Hilton around 6th and E street I think?  It was a good location - close to the Ford Theater, spy museum, etc...  I think we got it for like $99 and normally was $400???  It was nice.

I'd skip the spy museum (too busy and $$$, kinda kid-ish), but definitely get a tour of the White House (through your senator/congressman).  Deb had a friend who was an intern at the Capitol, so she gave us a free "inside" tour which was cool.  It was one of her jobs, so she was good. I think you can get one through your cgrss man too, though.

I really liked DC at xmas, but spring is really nice.  Summer was HOT.  Oh, go to the Nat'l Archives AFTER dinner - I think it's open till 9pm, and the line during the day is INSANE.  We walked right in and up to the declaration when we went around 8pm.  Those might be summer hours though...

There is a FANTASTIC authentic Italian restaurant near the White House.  It's a bit $$, but OMG.  Let me know if you want the name, and I'll rustle it up.

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks women!  We were thinking March just because

that's when our spring breaks intersect, but it might be 

a lot of fun to do Christmas somewhere else, just the

two of us...I'll start looking at places and prices etc

and I'm sure I'll have millions of questions again :)

Mother's Day, 2011
  • I dunno, I think march would be nice... I bet the weather will be awesome.
    Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • The only thing about March is that you run the risk of running into everyone else there on Spring Break as well - and that might be when it's traditional for the fifth grades to make their trips.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"