Northern California Babies

Best site for info on pumping?

I have a ton of questions... When to start, how to freeze, if I can pump into the same bottle more than once, etc etc ect.

Is there a good site/resource out there to help answer my questions?

TIA!

Re: Best site for info on pumping?

• Loading the player...
  • image2bearichards:

https://kellymom.com/

This site was very helpful to me

Ditto for me as well.  I also fond some helpful information on www.askdrsears.com

• Ditto - kellymom!

Also, just ask us too! 

• imageNorCalSuperwife:

I have a ton of questions... When to start, how to freeze, if I can pump into the same bottle more than once, etc etc ect.

Is there a good site/resource out there to help answer my questions?

TIA!

Just to start... 

When to start - I'm not sure about this one actually. I pumped from the start, but thats because Izzie had feeding issues. I would start by pumping right after DC goes to sleep. 

How to freeze - I think the Lansinoh bags are the best. I froze in 2 or 4 ounce portions. Even later, when Izzie was drinking a lot more per feeding, I still froze in those portions.. they were the most useful... even if you waste more bags

Pumping into the same bottle more than once - I think the rule is its okay within a 24 hour period... I've heard that its important to make sure that your newly pumped milk is cooled down before you combine, but I don't think I did that. Later on though, I either froze immediately after I pumped, or I just kept it fresh for her to eat.

HTH!

• Thanks for the great links and advice!!

I have been using KellyMom for BF info and didn't even know it had a pumping section. Perfect!

• Yep, please ask here too.

Here are some of my tips:

When to start? As soon as you are comfortable. If you feel your supply is already established, start now. Even if you don't need any expressed milk right now, start your frige stash. If I remember you do plan to return to work, so you'll need it for those occasional days you don't pump as much as you need to.

How to freeze: I always put milk away in the frige until I get enough to freeze. Milk is good in the freezer for up to 6 months, so you might want to freeze in some varying bag sizes. A couple of 1's, a bunch of 2's, and then skip on to 4 and 5oz bags. By the time M is about 10-11lb she'll be eating about 5oz per feeding, so you'll want enough for that.

Can you pump into the same bottle? That depends. Milk is good at room temp for up to 6 hours. If you intend to pump, leave milk out on the counter then pump again, you'd want to use up the whole within 6 hours of the first pump. I pump, put in the frigde, pump again then join the two pumps. I also prefer to get both portions of milk at the same temp before joining them up. There's disagreement on whether this is a must though.

Above anything else, I'll say drink water. LOTS of it. It's as important as in pregnancy to keep up your supply.

I agree that both workandpump.com and kellymom.com are good resources. Very good info on both.

• About pumping into the same bottles -> if you do plan on going back to work, buy multiple sets of pump parts. Its so much easier than you trying to clean the parts after each session. And if you do plan on doing this, just go ahead and buy the extra sets right now. Even if theres more to wash, I think its better to do it all at once rather than each time. Also, its just nice to have a couple extra around in case you lose a part or something.?

• Hey Renee,

I was pumping from the time I got home from the hosp bc Fudgie always put his tongue on the roof of his mouth and we had a hard time getting started BFing.

So pump whenever you feel like getting started. If I recall. your supply comes back every 45 mins or so ??

I didn't freeze b/c I never had enough but I know others that used the same Lansinoh products. Also, I agree on the same bottle suggestions.

Hope you all are doing well. I love your new siggy pix, the pic of M & J is so- darn cute!

Life is a roller coaster, enjoy it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lighthouse State Beach, Santa Cruz.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"