Cincinnati Babies
Options

NBR-any RN's on here? School question...

Hi, I don't normally post on here but I have a few questions please :)  DH is going to go to school to become an RN and I was wondering where you went?  Did you have to do gen ed classes first (like Miami U)?  How long did it take?  He is currently in a Med Assistant program.  We totally should have done more research when he signed up for this..he could already have almost two years into the RN program instead, ugh. Oh well.  He wasn't sure he would like it & didn't really want to invest into the RN at that time anyway, but as it turns out, this is really his thing.  He loves it.  I'm babbling, lol..  Anyway, where did you go to school?? We live in Middletown, so obviously Miami would be the closest place, but he is willing to go wherever he can.  Thanks!! 

Re: NBR-any RN's on here? School question...

• Options
    I went to Christ College of Nursing in Mt. Auburn for my first degree.  It was 24 months long (at that time), and I took my gen ed courses along with nursing courses.  You sit for the NCLEX upon completing the program.  Miami has a nursing program at their branch campuses, and that might be closer to you. Hondros has a nursing program too, and I have heard a lot of good things about it.  I worked as a RN while I went to UC for my BSN completion.  That took 9 months going two days a week.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

**butting in** because I know very little about nursing programs.

However, Galen off Reed Hartman is just a nursing school... pricy, but apparently really good board passing rates. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went to UC main campus for their 4 year BSN program.  I went straight out of high school and didn't know at that time that you could be an RN with an associate's degree (2 year program), otherwise I would have gone that route first and then got my BSN later.  Having your BSN isn't beneficial at first until you are wanting to progress into a different role other than floor nursing, etc.  You get paid the same whether you have your associate's or BSN (which I think stinks!!)  I would definitely have him go through an associate's degree program - check Miami Hamilton or Middletown, UC Raymond Walters (in Blue Ash), or Cincinnati State.  HTH!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I totally agree with Doodlebug, a degree program is the way to go.  Christ was not a degree, but a diploma program when I went there.  It is now an Associate degree program.  I also agree that going the fastest route to the RN degree is the best way to go.  There are many completion programs out there that get the BSN degree quickly.  You really only need that for non clinical positions or to go on to grad school.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I just started Galen College of Nursing this week.  My first pick was Good Sam school of Nursing but they weren't even taking applications until Jan 2010 and I could be half way done by then.

It is higher in cost then other schools but I liked the fact that it was get in and out in 2 years w/ your degree.  Like the pp mentioned it is known for having one of the highest ratings of the NCLEX or whatever its called.  It is new to Cincinnati but has been around other cities for about 20 years.  

• Options
    one of my good friend's went to beckfield college in northern ky - they now have a campus in springdale as well.  other than that, i know nothing about any of this, just throwing a name for a school out there.  she seems to have had a positive experience in going there.
    Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options

I also just started at Galen. I live in Monroe right near the Middletown line and it only takes me 25-30 minutes to get to school. The thing I really liked about Galen is that the program is all spelled out. You don't have to take pre-regs somewhere else to be accepted to the program. There is also no guessing about when you will graduate (unless you say, fail a class or something). I didn't want to mess around with trying to figure out what classes I needed, how long I would be on a waiting list, etc.

Hondros is right off of Tylersville but when I looked into that program I didn't care for it. It's a step program. So you go to school to get your LPN then step into the RN program. You wind up going to school for longer and I didn't really have any interest in getting an LPN. I'd rather just get through school as quickly as possible.

HTH. If you have any other questions you can email me jigginjessica at gmail dot com

• Options
    My cousin graduated from Beckfield in NKy last year and had a good experience there.  HTH!
  • Options
    I'm currently a SAHM, but have been considering a career change when I go back to work.  Xavier has a program called "Direct Entry as Second Degree" for people with a Bachelor's in something else, and when you are finished, you have an MSN.  Don't know if this helps anyone, but I like the sounds of it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"