Adoption

Virgin at the Adoption Process, help please

Be warned: I may ask bad questions!

My younger sister is pregnant with her second child (she is seventeen) and wants to give the baby up for adoption. She asked my husband and I if we would consider taking him/her.   Ive done some "google research" and haven't found any cut and dry answers. How do we start the process? What are the costs? She would be on TennCare (assisted medical coverage) during the pregnancy so would we pay for medical care? Can she change her mind after the baby is born?

Thanks for your advice and knowledge!

Re: Virgin at the Adoption Process, help please

• This really can depend by state.  I would start by calling a lawyer in your state that is listed on the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys or a private agency in your state.  Either one should be able to give you the "next step."

You most likely are not required to pay for the medical care unless you wanted too.  My quick reference guide sales that parental consent for the adoption cannot be given until 72 hours after birth and can be revoked within 10 days after.  You'll have to get the specifics.

Good luck! 

• I would contact an attorney. This is an inter-family adoption and the rules and processes can be different. The baby is hers until she legally relinquishes her rights to parent (as well as the father of the baby), which generally cannot happen until after the baby is born. And generally there is a waiting period after the baby is born before that paperwork can be signed (72 hours is common but each state (and sometimes county) is different).  So yes, she could change her mind after the baby is born because technically she wont have signed her rights away at that point anyway.

Good luck

• Loading the player...
  • I have no advice, but I wanted to wish you good luck and tell you that this board is a GREAT source of advice and information!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"