Breastfeeding
Options

Does this mean my supply is dwindling?

We are doing a combination of BFing, pumping and FFing. On Monday, Tuesday and yesterday, I didn't really pump, I just BF'd during the day. (We give formula at night.) Yesterday, my DD was eating SO often. She was crying almost every hour. My DH gave her a couple bottles of BM in the afternoon since I had a drs appt. I came home and after 4+ hours, my breasts didn't seem as hard as they usually are for 4+ hours. I pumped and got 4 oz out of one and 2 oz out of the other. (I felt 2 oz for 4+ hours was kind of low.) I BF'd around 10:30 last night and when I tried to squeeze some milk out myself, nothing came. I woke up this morning and my breasts also weren't as hard as they usually are after a full night of not BFing or pumping. I feel like when I feed DD now, she is not satisfied. She falls asleep while nursing and then wakes up so soon afterwards.

I've been trying to drink a lot of water. I don't eat as much as I should b/c I don't have enough time. DD hasn't been napping very well during the day, unless she is on me. I know the other tricks (oatmeal, etc.) but I am wondering if my supply could be dwindling after 3 weeks? Should my breasts still be feeling hard?

Re: Does this mean my supply is dwindling?

• Options

Mine stopped getting super hard around that time and I stopped getting as much when I pumped.

How much you pump isn't really an indication of how much you produce. Baby definitely gets more then what I pump. Have you ever weighed DC before and after a feeding to see how much she is getting? The LLL should be able to tell you where you can weigh her if you are worried.

Also, as long as she is having 7-8 wet diapers a day, and several bowl movements, she should be fine. Maybe she just prefers snacking to big meals.?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options
    Have you been to kellymom.com?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If you're supplementing with formula at 3 weeks and going 4+ hours without pumping or breastfeeding, your supply will most likely drop. 

Eventually, your breasts do stop feeling less hard, but I can't remember when that happened for me.  DD might be going through a growth spurt.  3 weeks is a typical time for that and that will cause the baby to eat very often.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Actually, it sounds like a 3 week growth spurt to me, which is totally normal.  Overly fussy, eating all the time, etc... 3 weeks is usually when the first one hits.  For us, that's when newborn diapers and newborn clothes no longer fit.  After that, expect one around 6 weeks, 3 mos, 4 mos, and 6 mos. 

I would try to eat more during the day.  I KNOW it's hard.  I've found that if I take DS with me into the kitchen, I can at least put a bagel in the toaster, or eat a cup of yogurt.  Also, have you tried baby wearing yet?  That really helps, and my DS loved it.  Also, your supply is stabilizing, so your breasts probably won't feel as hard. 

• Options
    Tyhanks for asking this ?ion--altho I odnt pump--my pump was only 60 $ so it works ok but I dont have the patience
  • Options

My son is 3 weeks old tomorrow and it sounds like we're in the same boat.

My breasts don't get hard anymore and they only leak at night, when I go a while between feedings.

My son wanted to eat all the time yesterday.  I think it's a combo growth spurt and the fussiness makes him want to snuggle/nurse for comfort... so, I'm offering alternate sides at least twice every three hours (growth spurt), but after 25 minutes when he slows down I use the pacifier (comfort sucking).

It's made today much nicer than yesterday.  I can actually eat/drink and do a load of laundry.

So... started nursing at 2.  Gave him a paci at 2:30.  He konked out at 2:41.  I might pop him into his carseat with the paci so I can go do things for 20 minutes.

• Options

Your DD could be going through a growth spurt.  Also - if you are doing a combo of FF, you will not produce enough to EBF your DD.  It is strictly a supply/demand relationship.  At one point I thought my supply was dwindling around 4 weeks but it was just my body adjusting to the demand needed by my daughter.   I also never give formula & only give a bottle when I am away from her (as rarely as possible).

Also, pumping is never as effective as your daughter getting it straight from the breast.  I never pump as much as I would like & my breasts don't always feel "hard" but DD was EBF till 6 months when she has been slowing starting foods.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"