Working Moms

GASuzuki

I just read your post. 

1) are you really studying for the bar with a new baby?  There was just a post about that a few days ago, and it sounds like it is going to be hard.  You've gotta do what you've gotta do though. Best of luck to you!

2) I really think that AlisaS is just standing up for women.  When you tell your secretary you are just working for the money, in a way you're implying agreement that you would stay home if it's financially possible. It sounds like you made your decision to be an attorney, so stand by it!  You don't need to make excuses about finances or blame it on your DH not making enough money, so you have to work.  Let your secretary know that you are part of a generation of women who are proud to be working mammas. 

Re: GASuzuki

• I just want to add a big "Good Luck" to her for the exam!
  • Hi KGB1411! Thanks for the response...

1) Yup, I will be studying for the bar with a new baby. Unfortunately, this is not my first time around to be taking the bar, so it's not exactly a new thing to me. To be honest, this won't be as hard for me as it was when I took the bar during my first trimester... It was awful. I was on my back with morning sickness in the two-to-three weeks leading to the bar. As could be predicted, that was pretty much what took me down. My scores revealed that I lacked the memorization needed for the essay portion. (Usually people pull it all together during that time.)

This time around, however, I won't have morning sickness and I will be lucky enough to have my mom living with us and helping out with Quinn... Also, my husband will be on summer break, so he will be a huge help! Thank you for the good luck wish - I need all I can get!

2) Um, to be honest, even without the baby, if I could just stay at home all day and sit on my butt, but still have money, I would do it. LOL! Well, only if my DH could stay with me. I don't think I told my secretary I was just doing it for the money... I am pretty sure I told her I could not afford to stay home... To me, that is definitely not the same thing as "just doing it for the money." Also, I am a little disturbed that telling someone the truth - that the economy and financial reality does not allow a person to stay home - automatically riles other women into believing it means I am not a member of a generation of women who are proud to be working mamas. I do not read my statement as a one or the other kind of thing.... Instead, I see it as a stark reality. Further, I don't see my reasons as "excuses," but as real reasons for being in the workforce.

Finally, I have to be terribly honest here and say that it bums me out when women insist that we must either be for or against each other. As a woman, I appreciate that I have several layers of feelings and emotions. No, it isn't one or the other. It's often both for me. Yes, I am proud to be on my way to becoming an attorney and want to be a strong role model for my daughter, but that does not mean I am not going to be bummed every now and then that I am not home with her, watching her play or hearing her first words. I think that is what vexes many of us - wanting it all.

I find life to be an amalgam of emotion and feelings, and to act as though it were otherwise, would truly be being insincere to myself.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"